Chapter 20

The baseball field was a large, open meadow located deep within the forest. It had bases spread out far past a normal human distance placed within its bounds. The vampires in the clearing could be heard laughing and seen passing baseballs back and forth to each other. Ellie could tell they were all clearly excited about the upcoming game that would commence as soon as Alice gave word on the storm.

Jasper flashed her a bright smile as he passed a ball with Alice while Ellie stood with Esme waiting on Edward and Bella to arrive, sending her own smile back at the blond vampire.

"This is the happiest I've ever seen him," Esme said to Ellie as she watched the small exchange between the two.

Ellie allowed her gaze to drift to the mother figure of the household before asking, "Really?"

Esme nodded, thinking of the depression the vampire she considered her son had been consumed by, "It's like you've given him new purpose. The same goes for Bella and Edward. You girls are just what our family needed."

Ellie smiled at the thought, "He makes me happy, too."

"I'm glad you finally gave him a chance," Esme said, placing a cold hand on her shoulder sending Ellie into a wave of visions.

A young, brunette woman talks with a handsome blond doctor. She seems very fond of him, but he is hesitant.

The same woman, now older, sits in a hospital room, tears flowing at the news that she has lost her child.

The woman now stands at a cliff throwing herself over the edge, the pain she is experiencing too much for her frail heart. The blond doctor from earlier pulling her to safety and making the big decision of changing her, plunging his teeth into her mangled body.

A small gasp left Ellie's lips before she finally replied to the woman, "Me too."

Esme, noticing the gasp, asked, "Are you alright, Ellie?"

Jasper lifted his eyes to watch Ellie carefully as he heard the question and felt the sadness and a deep respect radiating from his mate.

"I'm fine," she answered, knowing everyone was tuned into the conversation. "Just visions."

"My past is dark," Esme muttered, comforting the girl. "I'm sorry you had to witness it."

Ellie frowned at the woman, a firm look in her eyes, "I'm not. It only allows me to appreciate and respect you that much more. Heartbreak does scary things to a person. You've moved forward and have earned the respect you receive. So I will not be sorry for witnessing your past, and you shouldn't be either."

"Thank you, Ellie," Esme smiled just as they heard laughter coming from the edge of the forest leaving no doubt in mind that it was Edward.

"It's no problem, Esme," Ellie replied as Emmett teased Edward from across the field. "We're family now, and even though I haven't had the best experience with those, I'm under the impression they encourage each other."

"You're on the right track," Esme said, eyes warm with her happiness. "I already consider you a daughter."

A smile tugged at the corners of Ellie's lips. She hadn't been considered a daughter of anyone for a long time, and it warmed her heart to know Esme considered her a daughter. The smile remained on her lips as Esme walked off to greet Bella.

Ellie watched as the two made their way back to her at home plate. A greeting passing her lips as they arrived, "Hey, Bells. It's nice to see you outside of school again."

"Hey, E," Bella said, a smile lighting her lips. "Are you playing with them?"

Ellie laughed, "Oh no, definitely not. I may have some amazing abilities, but they do not include vampire speed or strength. These guys would run circles around me, and I would consider using my telekinesis as cheating. I like a fair game."

"Oh," Bella said, surprise etching her features. "I just assumed -"

"It's alright, Bella," Ellie said, tossing an arm over her shoulder and pulling her behind the plate so Rosalie could bat. "I assume things occasionally, too. It's just a simple reminder we're only human."

Bella frowned at that. She'd recently decided she loved Edward. If she remained human, she'd have to eventually leave him. "Right..." she murmured.

"Enjoy it while it lasts, Bella," Ellie said, knowing the thoughts that were potentially plaguing her mind at the almost saddened tone she carried. "It doesn't last forever."

Bella didn't reply, but Ellie understood. It was a terrifying thought to have to leave your loved ones forever, knowing you would leave them brokenhearted. It wasn't something that Ellie ever wanted to do to these people she'd come to care for, but she couldn't bring herself to give up her humanity. Bella, on the other hand, would probably give it all up just to have the opportunity to love Edward forever forgoing every dream she had ever held for herself. Ellie wasn't sure whether she considered it selfless or stupid, but she could respect that it was Bella's decision and not her own.

Rosalie stepped up to the plate distracting Ellie from her thoughts. She noticed that Alice had taken the pitcher's mound, and the game was beginning. Alice wound up the ball and threw it at light speed. It flew past Rosalie and right into the catcher's mitt that Esme was wearing.

"Strike?" Bella questioned, attempting to umpire the game as she had been asked earlier.

"Anything they don't hit is a strike," Esme commented, nodding at the girl's call.

Alice threw the ball again, and it flew past in a blur. This time Rosalie hit it high where it headed straight into the forest, and Edward was gone in a splitsecond chasing after ball.

"That's got to be a homerun," Bella said, watching the ball disappear.

"I think you'd be surprised at how fast Edward is," Ellie said, following Edward's thoughts as he caught up to the ball.

"She's right," Esme agreed, reaching her glove up and catching the ball that Edward had sent flying toward them. "Edward is the fastest of our family."

"Out!" Bella called as Esme touched the ball to the plate before Rosalie reached it. She received a harsh glare from the blonde vampire who stomped away angrily.

"It's just a game, Babe," Emmett called after Rosalie's retreating form.

The game continued on as each vampire attempted to best each other in the sport they had chosen. It was a close game, and finally, it was Jasper's turn to bat. He stepped up to the plate sending a playful smirk and wink to his blonde mate.

Ellie smiled and threw her own wink at him, watching closely as Alice whirled the ball toward him, and he hit it with ease. It flew deep into the woods just as a vision passed Alice's sight, filling both Edward and Ellie's minds.

Three vampires were headed towards them. Three vampires that Ellie wished she didn't recognize. Three vampires that would cause them all a world of trouble.