Chapter 8

Ellie felt a wave of calm rush over her body as she sat on the living room couch in the Cullen's home. She smiled in thanks to Jasper who nodded, reaching over and taking her hand in his. To her surprise, she felt it was actually helping her stay relaxed, and instead of pulling away like her mind was telling her to do, she chose to intertwine their fingers, giving his hand a gentle squeeze. She watched as a smile tugged at the corners of his lips.

"You look surprised," Carlisle commented.

"I am," Ellie answered the man she had not yet been formally introduced to. "It's highly uncommon for an emissary to advise a vampire coven."

Especially one with a very rational distrust of vampires.

Edward chuckled causing everyone to look at him.

"Her thoughts are amusing," he explained to his family, then turned to their new emissary. "I suppose you'll just have to get over not trusting us."

"It will be the same on our end, of course," Carlisle spoke. "I'm afraid we haven't formally met. I'm Dr. Carlisle Cullen, and this is my wife, Esme." He gestured to the unknown brunette beside of him. "I am the head of this family."

"Eleanor DuPree. It's nice to meet you," she said. "I suppose we should all truly get to know one another. If I'm going to trust you, I should trust you with everything."

"Do you have any questions about us?" Carlisle asked the blonde emissary.

"Only one thing. I'm actually pretty familiar with your kind. You have gold eyes. I've only ever met vampires with red eyes. What do they mean?" she questioned.

"We have a very special diet in our family," he chuckled. "You might call us vegetarian."

Ellie saw a minor flash of Jasper sinking his teeth into a mountain lion, his golden eyes gleaming.

"Exactly, Ellie," Edward said, chuckling at the fact it was Jasper who she had seen.

"No one asked your opinion on who or what I see, Ed-vasion-of-privacy," Ellie snapped, before smiling at the bronze haired boy.

"Your names wound me," he smirked.

"Stuff it," she mock glared before chuckling and returning to more important matters. "So you eat animals, and they eat humans. Perfect. You guys could have told me that sooner."

"It didn't occur to us that you cared," Emmett grinned.

"I'm sure you have plenty of questions for me," she avoided Emmett's statement.

"A few," Carlisle admitted, watching the girl with care.

"I'll do my best," she answered.

"My children have told me that you are gifted. Would you mind explaining your gifts to us?" he questioned.

"Well, I was born with this, and I've always found them to be more of a curse than a blessing," Ellie started. "My powers are temperamental to say the least. If I get extremely angry or scared or have any kind of strong emotion really, I have the tendency to make objects around me fly.

"When I was a baby, the people who raised me always thought the houses we were living in were haunted. That idea was solidified after I reached a certain age and the mysterious floating objects stopped. I was just learning to control my powers.

"We finally settled in a house in Whitefield, Canada near Ontario. I met this wonderful group of people who helped me become who I am today. My family and I were over for a business dinner at Ethan's house. I went to help him bring some extra marinara to the dining room, because he was taking a long time, when I found him and his friends fighting off the undead. Needless to say, after I helped them out of that pickle, we became fast friends.