Chapter I

If you are reading this, you're probably very awesome. Thanks a lot for spreading your awesomeness to this. :)

Chapter I

               The school was now ablaze with chatter now that the lunch bell rang. The crowds of people seemed to part ways for the small group of us walking together. Today, no one seemed to share my need for silence, everyone chattered excitedly. On one side Gina was blabbering about some unimportant shoes that to her were the world and on the other Marc was talking about some cute girl he met over the weekend.

                 “Jason, are you even listening to me?” Gina’s shrill voice rang as we sat down. I swear every time she spoke she sounded as if she was shrieking.

        I rolled my eyes toward her. “Yeah, you said something about some shoes."

                 She nodded and shot right back into the conversation and I went right back to ignoring her, she was really starting to annoy me and to top it off she was interrupting my meditation.

                   In the stereotypical high school we currently sat in we were labeled as the quote unquote popular people. It wasn’t as if we chose it, it was bestowed upon us. I guess it was because we walked differently or spoke differently. I didn’t feel any different from anyone else; we were all similar but with different circumstances. As much as I’ve tried to free myself from the label people kept adding more.

              Once, I was labeled a womanizer that one stuck. I didn’t even talk to many girls. Gina flipped at that one. I wasn’t even sure why we were together. Maybe because the ‘populars’’ had to date within their enclosed circle, a circle of cockiness.

             I finally broke out of my reverie when I heard them speaking of a new girl, although I tried my best to not frown down on others and to resonate that with the others, there was certain disdain in their voices toward her.

            “Wait, what are you guys talking about again?” I piped up. Everyone stopped talking and turned to me as if I was their leader or something. I gritted my teeth in frustration.

            “Well,” a boy whose name I can’t remember started, “there’s a new girl here and she’s sitting by herself.”

      Now, at this school if you were sitting by yourself you either had some seriously contagious disease or if you were new, I guess. I followed where they pointed and saw her. She looked so thin and fragile and her hair was a thick curtain around her face. I couldn’t get over the blue black look it had.

              In a quick instant her head snapped up and her eyes met mine, my eyes widened at the startling orange-brown color of her eyes. I forced myself to look away. The people at the table did too, mirroring my moves.

      I would’ve been irritated if I wasn’t so baffled, there was something about this girl that made me feel weird, I didn’t dare look over to the table again.

     “Hey, did you hear about that new movie….?” Someone along the line said, making me relax a little.

                  I tried to block everything out once more and chose to focus on my clasped hands on the table. A few moments later, I stood announcing to everyone that I’d be getting something to eat. I felt the stares on my back as I walked toward the lunch line. I wished everyone didn’t make a big deal about me as they did.

               My head snapped up at the sound of an unrecognizably soft voice in front of me, speaking to the cashier. If I wasn’t mistaken, the girl ordered water. Something about her delicate voice made me want to protect her. I eased my way beside her and she looked up, my eyes widened in surprise as the same girl from across the room stood in front of me.