Chapter Thirteen - Rumors & Razors

Carter took another drag. The smoke flowed from his nose in two thick streams. I angled my face toward the sun as he regaled me with his recent weekend of clubbing, booze and a very persistent new friend.

“If he’s stalking you, then why do you let him buy you drinks?” I laughed.

“It’s simple, Emilie. I’m broke.”

I laughed again, and Carter jabbed his elbow into my side when he caught sight of Justin walking towards us.

“Hey, Justin,” Carter lilted, winking at me.

“Carter.” Justin greeted with a nod. He dangled his keys. “I’m headed home, Em. You need a ride?”

“I was just going in,” I said, grinning up at him through my sunglasses.

“You’re not staying with me tonight?” He asked. His face was a combination of surprise and disappointment.

“No, I am. I just had to grab a few things that I forgot.”

“Like what?”

“Well, my razor for one. What is it to you?”

“It’s about time you shaved you legs. They’ve been tearing the hell out of mine,” he said with an impish grin.

Carter’s eyes bulged as he gave me a quick once over, and made a face at Justin. “That’s how rumors get started!” I looked at Carter and shook my head. “I’m sleeping in his bed… just sleeping.”

“Right” Carter said with a smug smile.

I smacked Carter’s arm before yanking the door open and climbing the stairs. By the time I reached the second floor, Justin was beside me.

“Oh, don’t be mad. I was just kidding.”

“Everyone already assumes we’re having sex. You’re making it worse.”

“Who cares what they think?”

“I do, Justin! I do!” I pushed open my door, shoved random items into a small tote, and stormed out, with Justin trailing on my heels. He chuckled as he took the bag from my hand, and I glared at him. “It’s not funny. Do you want the whole school to think I’m one of your sluts?”

Justin frowned. “No one thinks that. And if they do, they better hope I don’t hear about it.”

He held the door open for me, and after walking through, I stopped abruptly in front of him.

“Whoa!” he said, slamming into me.

I flipped around. “Oh my God! People probably think we’re together and you’re shamelessly continuing your… lifestyle. I must look pathetic!” I said, coming ot the realization as I spoke. “I don’t think I should stay with you anymore. We should just stay away from each other in general for a while.”

I took my bag from him, and he snatched it back.

“No one thinks that we’re together, Em. You don’t have to quit talking to me to prove a point.”

We engaged in a tug-of-war with the tote, and when he refused to let go, I growled loudly in frustration. “Have you ever had a girl—that’s a friend—stay with you? Have you ever given girls rides to and from school? Have you eaten lunch with them every day? No one knows what to think about us, even when we tell them!”

He walked to the parking lot, holding my effects hostage. “I’ll fix this okay? I don’t want anyone thinking less of you because of me,” he said with a troubled expression. His eyes brightened and he smiled. “Let me make it up to you. Why don’t we go to Pioneer’s tonight?”

“That’s a biker bar,” I sneered, watching him fasten my tote to his bike.

“Okay, then let’s go to the club. I’ll take you to dinner and then we can go to Inferno. Me treat.”

“How will going out to dinner and going to a club fix the problem?” When people see us out together, it’ll only make it worse.”

He straddled his bike. “Think about it. Me, drunk, in a room full of scantily clad women? It won’t take long for people to figure out we’re not a couple.”

“So what am I supposed to do? Take a guy home from the bar to drive the point home?”

“I didn’t say that. No need to get carried away,” he said with a frown.

 I rolled my eyes and climbed onto the seat, wrapping my arms around his middle. “Some random girl is going to follow us home from the bar? That’s how you’re going to make it up to me?”

“You’re not jealous, are you, Emilie?”

“Jealous of what? The STD-infested imbecile you’re going to piss off in the morning?”

Justin laughed, and then started his Harley. He flew toward his apartment at twice the speed limit, and I closed my eyes to block out the trees and cars we left behind.

After climbing off his bike, I smacked his shoulder. “Did you forget I was with you? Are you trying to get me killed?”

“It’s hard to forget you’re behind me when your thighs are squeezing the life out of me.” A smirk came with his next thought. “I couldn’t think of a better way to die, actually.”

“There is seriously something wrong with you.”

We had barely made it inside when Cara shuffled out of Tyler’s bedroom. “We were thinking about going out tonight. You guys in?”

I looked at Justin and grinned. “We’re going to swing by the sushi place before we go to Inferno.”

Cara’s smile spanned from one side of her face to the other. “Ty!” she cried, scampering into the bedroom. “We’re going out tonight!”

PLEASE vote it would only take ONE SECOND! Happy Holidays (: