Chapter 17- War Of Wings

I looked down from the balcony. There was an army of several thousand surrounding the castle walls. The villages, luckily, were not touched, but the gate would not hold long. The stone was old and the door was rotting. It was still strong, but not strong against the constant battering of huge metal poles designed specifically for this.

I walked slowly downstairs, ignoring the soldiers that rushed past me in a panic. It seemed very quiet despite all the noise.

I put on my dress. It was not chain mail as the council had ordered me, and I didn't put armour on. I would not be restricted by such things. I wore a plain, white dress that I sometimes used for training. It was easy to move in.

I picked up a small golden tiara, and placed it firmly on my head. It wouldn't come off unless I told it to- It was enchanted. It had been passed through the family. My mother had it on her head when she died. I do this for her.

I thought a silent prayer.

Please, God. I have lost everything that I knew except from my King. Keep him safe for me.

And with that, I walked out of the castle, confidently striding out infront of our armies. Our numbers were much less than theirs, they outnumbered us by at least 5 to 1.

They chanted, shouting their war cries. I saw the fear in my people's eyes, saw them shake, but also saw their bravery, determination and courage. They believed in me, and would follow me to the death.

With a look back at Gabriel behind me, I raised my sword. It shone in the light, reflecting the hundreds of soldiers standing behind Gabriel solemnly.

"To war!" I shouted, and flew up to the air to meet the Black Angels.

The air brushed past my cheeks, and my eyes focused on the sight in front of them. The clouds moved above me, as my followers in their armour joined me.

Gabriels P.O.V.

I watched her fly into the blue skies to join the army gathered above. She was the only thing that kept me going. Going into war with my own people.

Only, they werent my people. I belonged with Cassia, only they wouldn't listen. And they would die for that, I would make sure of it.

I flew to her side, and together we met the opposing army.

Cassia's P.O.V.

Arrows headed towards us. I diverted them with a flick of my hand, sending them back to the army they were sent from. It only killed a few.

Our armies met, and I saw several of the councilors submerge into the depths of the army, their courage showing. I saw several soldiers coming towards me and Gabriel. I swiftly drew my sword and twirled in into a fighting pose. I waited silently as they approached.

Swords met as I fought the first opponant, Gabriel had my back and I had his. I ducked under a sword and then sent him flying with a burst of energy. I helped Gabriel to finish off his opponant, and together we would face the waves apon waves heading this way.

I brought a hand down, slamming the earth and sending energy waves strong enough to kill them. The second wave approached.

It seemed like seconds were hours, every moment of magic and swords was torture. Constant killing. The never ending flow of blood from the battlefield, the soldiers who march on towards us, and will gradually bring us to our dooms.

We were only staying strong for one reason: for her.

I was buzzing with adrenaline. Every move was swift like a swallow, and every strike was as sharp as a razor. Time passed but still blood rained on the ground, and the fallen soldiers of both sides.

I heard a groan. I looked around to see Gabriel collapsing on the ground, blood pouring quickly out of a wound in his chest.

"No..." I felt the colour leave my face. I rushed to him, bursts of energy keeping the enemy away from us.

This was my fault. He was dying, and it was my fault! I should have protected him.

"We never did get married. Now or never... Cassia, do you take me as your lawfully wedded husband?" He said, short of breath. With silent tears running down my face, I replied.

"I do. Do you take me as your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do. Cassia... I love you..." He whispered, before falling unconscious.

No. I would not let him leave me.

I placed my hands on his chest, where his heart was beating weakly. I pulsed energy through him, feeling it pass through my fingers and into his body. It healed his wound, melding together flesh on his chest that had been sliced open.

I waited for his eyes to open. I couldn't hear anything, and I prayed that it wasn't too late. I wouldn't lose him. I couldn't.

When I had almost given up all hope, he gasped and coughed, spluttering as he sat up.

I had no words to express my feelings. I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close, vowing to never let go ever again.