Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Kyler's POV

I glared at Craig as he spat a mouthful of my fur out. "Sorry Alpha," he thought to me and I my glare hardened. "Not an Alpha yet, Craig. Just call me Kyler." He acknowledged that before attempting to land one swipe on me.

Craig has always been one of our best fighters in the pack. He had the build of a swimmer, lean but somehow managing to keep some muscle on. Today he and I were training together. He was quite a challenge I must say.

I dodged his attack but he seemed to have predicted that and turned on me, jaws snapping near my nose. "Woah, not the face man. You should know that by now!" I scolded playfully and felt his wolf roll it's eyes at that.

We tackled each other, taking nips and bites from opposing parties before turning back into human form and taking a break.

I felt the familiar cracking of bones back into place and grabbed a pair of basketball shorts, putting them on. Craig did the same, only adding a red singlet. Craig was fresh out of college, which he attended in the next state and had just recently returned. He had scruffy brown bed hair that made him seem younger than he really was and deep blue eyes. And one more thing about him was that he was gay, and Aleks' mate.

While he was out attending college, I guess he met Aleks who was completing his Beta training and they found each other. Aleks waited until he graduated before coming home with him.

Who would have known that they would end up together? Growing up they were really distant and Aleks used to tease him about being scrawny all the time. Memories.

"That was a good run, thanks for the practice!" I took a gulp of water from the water bottle and handed the rest of it to Craig, who eagerly drank everything else. "No problem, a pleasure being able to duel with you future-Alpha!"

I opened my mouth to correct him about the Alpha and Kyler thing when Aleksander strolled into the room, grinning happily.

"Hey babe," he swung an arm around Craig's neck, ignoring his mate's protests of being sweaty and gross. "... Alpha." he greeted me and it took a lot of willpower not to whack him on the underside of his head.

"Your prisoner is a little bit of a smart mouth, Kyle." Aleksander turned to me.

Dalton Kane. His temper was a little off. I really doubted his sanity. Seems like the cheese has slid off his cracker to me.

-

I felt my stomach growl in hunger at the scent of roast wafting around the room. Tonight was a specially prepared dinner and the whole pack was required to join. We had moved chairs and tables and lights by the lake where it was actually big enough to accommodate nearly two hundred wolves.

Little kids sat at the water's edge, making a ton of noise while the adults hung out where the food was. Then there were the teenagers who just stood around awkwardly. Because socializing was tiring, apparently. I was stuck next to my parents since the whole point of tonight was to celebrate my birthday before it even came.

Everyone's emotions were just buzzing, it was like they were a whole bunch of kangaroos high on caffeine. It got to the point where it started giving me a headache and I was forced to throw up the mind blocks.

"... Kyle, why don't you go and get us some napkins?" I broke out of my thoughts to see my mother, her blonde hair tied up into a high ponytail, with her hand on my shoulder. "Yeah, alright." I got up. Great, not only was I leashed to my parents and the pack elders but I was also their personal servant.

What kind of pre-birthday party was this?

I walked on over to a small picnic table, eyeing my group friends who were attempting to chug root beer and not even noticing that I was gone. Gee thanks Alix, you sure are a wonderful best friend. I thought bitterly as I snatched up a packet of tissue. I backed up and immediately hit back first into someone. I whipped around and a pair of intense brown eyes met my gaze.

"Oh... hello," I mumbled, feeling quite small all of a sudden. And I had a good reason to as well. Dalton stood behind me, towering above me and packed with just a little bit more muscle than I had.

He just stared at me and it started getting a little bit uncomfortable. "I'm sorry...?" I apologized, trying to mask my fear of the 6"4 wall of man before me. To my surprise, he didn't violently smash my head into the ground but instead he laughed. It was a brief chuckle but nonetheless my heart fluttered at that.

If he wasn't bigger and stronger than me and not so damn terrifying I would completely jump his gorgeous bones right about now.

"It's fine, young Alpha, don't look so scared. Chill, man," he spoke in such a casual tone and I found myself getting even more riled up. "Oh okay... man. I'll see you around," I blabbers stupidly before backing away and brisk walking back to where my parents were, napkins grasped tightly in my hand.

"Well that was really embarrassing," my wolf noted and right then and there I wanted to dig a hole in the ground and call it my grave. "Shut up! You're not helping here!" I shot back sourly.

Was it really that bad that I was feeling an attraction towards another man so close to my coming-of-age-day? What if my future mate found out that I was attracted to someone else and rejected me? I won't deny that Dalton took my breath away. I stole glances at him all the time and sometimes I would just feel so sad that he won't be mine.

Dalton's POV

The young Alpha amused me. All his self control flew out of the window when I confronted him and I could feel every single emotion radiating off him. It was a mix of fear, awe, shock and arousal. I don't think anyone else could sense his emotions but I had always been good at picking up feelings and auras. I chuckled at the thought of him and felt judgmentall stares burn into the back of my head. "Less laughing and more working!" Aleksander, the prick, as I now referred to him as, stood behind me bossing everyone around. It was the after party.

Everyone was lethargic and dying to jump back into bed but sadly we were stuck here with Mr. Cactus-up-his-cakehole at half past eleven at night.

I folded up the last table and heaved it up onto the truck to be taken back to the manor. "Alright y'all are off cleaning duty! Now go home, everyone!" Aleksander yelled and got on the truck and driving off, leaving the handful of us to walk back home.

Their pack was relatively small. Just over a hundred and ninety wolves max. I didn't bother to count. Most of them had their own families and chose to live alongside humans, only attending necessary pack meetings and dinner parties, Michaela had explained to me one day. That was logical, given that although the main manor was huge, a hundred and fifty wolves residing in one house would be chaotic.

The wolves who lived in the manor were mostly people who had titles of leadership or just were too lazy to fend for themselves daily. Thus given the majority of fresh grads and elders.

The manor was basically a big dormitory. But that didn't mean that life was horrible. Everyone here seemed sort of happy in their own way.

-

Everyone had started making their way back, chattering amongst themselves about who knows what while I hung around at the back. I wasn't tired, my wolf decided and I groaned as I felt him push himself rudely into my mind. "Shift! I want out!" he growled and I complied. I could use some fresh air after all the alcohol and food.

I waited until the last of the wolves had disappeared before stripping down and immediately felt the sensation of my bones reforming and cracking. In twenty seconds I was no longer a man but a huge black wolf. Alpha wolves were relatively bigger in size compared to other wolves, therefore I bore more resembalance to a grizzly rather than a wolf.

"Yeah!" I let my wolf control my movements and just sank back down into submission. Who cares, no one would be out here in the woods anyway. We started off into a random direction and took off running as fast as we could. The wind blowing through my fur and the crunch of the gravel beneath my feet. It felt good.

All of a sudden we were broken off mid run by something large barreling into us. My wolf let a string of choice words go as we struggled to push the dead weight off us. The thing atop us shifted and rolled off and at once I had it by the throat.

It was another wolf. This one was a sandy colour with incredible blue eyes that shone under the moonlight. My wolf furrowed its brows at that. I stepped off the stranger and he shot to his feet, growling low but I could sense the uncertainty at being face to face with a bear-wolf-thing.

This wolf surprised me though. At full height he was as large as I was and I knew who he was. The young teenage Alpha, Kyler Parks. Damn his wolf was pretty darn cute.

I could feel him trying to probe into my mind, trying to communicate with me and I let him. "What are you doing out here?" he inquired and I shook all the dirt off myself before replying, "Just having a run. Needed space to breathe."

"Oh... cool. Well, we should maybe be getting back?"

He was nervous.

"Nah, I've just got out. Aleksander kept some of us back to clear up after you all."

Kyler nodded, shifting his paws around awkwardly. "Well, how's about we... you know, go out for a run...?"

"That sounds nice."

And our conversation was over, just like that.

His emotions were everywhere though and I smiled internally at that. I watched the sandy wolf as he nudged his head to our left before bounding off. I grinned wider, pushing my very reluctant wolf out of my head and control and pelted after Kyler.