20- Friends With Benefits

“Best friends?”

“Yes! Best friends!”

“And that’s why you are so excited?” Niall asked confused.

“Well, yeah! I mean, don’t you see it?” Harry was beyond thrilled; he couldn’t stop walking around the blonde boy, who was too busy finishing a bag of chips.

“I see that you are rubbing it on my face,” he groaned.

“What? Are you jealous or someth-”

“No, I’m not!” the irish boy quickly interrupted, “I’m his brother, that means we are blood related, it’s a stronger bond,” he smirked.

“Well, exactly! That’s my point,” Harry sat in front of his friend, holding his bright glare to Niall’s mischievous expression, “Do you see it now?”

Niall squinted his eyes, trying to understand where the overly excited boy was going. “I’m not so sure, what did he say next?”

“Nothing, he saw a few paps wondering around the park so we rushed back to the hotel,” the curly boy got lost on his own thoughts.

“And then?”

“Nothing then, we came back and didn’t talk anymore,” his mood went from excited to confused. “Why do you always have to do this?”

“Do what? I haven’t done anything!” Niall complained.

“Yes, you have! You always have to blow my balloon up!” Harry pouted.

“Oh, you had a balloon now,” the blonde boy teased with amusement.

“Niall! I’m being serious!”

“Sorry, I just don’t want you to get your hopes up, Haz!”

“What do you mean?”

“You keep trying to find a different meaning to whatever Louis says and maybe there’s nothing more to it, you know?”

“No, come on! Of course there is, you should have seen his eyes, the way he was looking at me, like asking me to decode his own words.”

Niall awed at the way the brunette lad seemed to be so happy with the conversation he had the day before, he didn’t want to bring him down but he knew how Louis’s mind worked. Those words could have meant everything and anything at the same time. “The thing is I have no idea of how your relationship actually works,” he lied.

“Yes you do, you know exactly how it works!” the green eyed boy spat.

“Ok, I do!”

“Then why are you acting like this?”

“Cause I don’t wanna get involved anymore. I mean, I want to listen to you everytime you need me to, but I don’t wanna have an opinion. It’s between you and him,” Niall looked to the ground with a tiny seed of shame, “And ok, someone else you are completely forgetting about.”

Harry dropped his head on his own hands, he groaned and looked back up. “You are right but it’s not like we are doing anything, this is harmless!”

“Is not harmless and you know it,” Niall said while Harry was trying to avoid eye contact, “Look at me, Harry. I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I’ve been hurt for the past two years, Ni!” he gulped.

The irish lad sighed. “I know and I’m sorry, I’m just not so sure about what to say.”

“Why should I give up on him?” Harry broke the silence.

Niall felt how the air around them got thicker; it was a hard question and an even harder answer. When he finally found the right words to continue, Harry didn’t let him say anything.