2- Doncaster's Tragedy

The whole town was in shock, all you could hear going trough those streets was people mumbling about what happened. “It’s a tragedy,” they’d say. “How come nobody stopped it before?” was a common thought.

Blame, guilt, people always need to find someone to blame but sometimes there just isn’t. “Things happen for a reason,” this sentence was that young boy’s family’s moto.

And there he was, sitting on a bench at his uncle’s backyard, his deep blue eyes staring straight to nowhere. Lost in his thoughts, his feelings were his own cell. He couldn’t help to remember the times they spent right there on that bench, but it was just too hurtful.

Louis was fifteen years old then but in the past three days he felt he grew up more than enough. Losing someone so close to him was nothing he ever expected to be. His cousin was like his own brother; he was only a few months older so they grew up together. Now it’s all gone. All the talks, all the dreams, all the amazing future they had planned for themselves, all is gone.

“I should have done something,” he thought but knew he didn’t see it coming. As much as he wished to take it all back he couldn’t, and that thought killed him. So he just stayed there, tired of people hugging him, telling him that everything would be ok. “No it won’t,” he repeated in his head. “They don’t know, no one knows,”

Louis felt like nobody really knew his cousin, he stared at random people crying around that yard and he thought it was all a bad act. Nobody in that house knew how valuable his best friend was or so he believed. And then the memory haunted him again.

 "That guy is cute," Fred said.

"Why would you say that?" Louis asked with a confused look.

"Because he is," the blonde boy responded. They both stayed in silence for a while, Fred didn’t stop staring at his younger cousin, watching him take that new piece of information. Louis looked back at him, no words needed to be said, he just knew. And Fred nodded.

That fact didn’t change their relationship, not at all. Louis realized how convinced his cousin was and that gave him a sense of pride he didn’t get.

And six months later there he was. “I wish I told him not to tell and how proud of him I was,” he started to feel tears climbing up his body so he stood up, he hated letting people see him cry. He walked into the house, gave his aunt a kiss on the cheek and got ready for the hardest goodbye he ever had to face.

Not a tear, not a word. Louis was surprised, his ability to hide his feelings have never been better and he would remember that for the rest of his life.

That ability will be his cross.

"You can be whatever you want, Lou," he remembered his cousin saying every time they talked about their future.

"And so Fred did, and now he lays cold underneath the ground," Louis failed to think.