Chapter 21

Chris's POV

"Alright. I'm sure you all know what's going on right now.", I said as soon as Rachel arrived and took her seat. It's been a week since Stephanie's disappearance and I figured it was time we, as a group, took action. Screw listening to Steph's parents about having friends involved.

"Hold up. Won't the school notice that she's missing and, I don't know, call the police or something?", pipes Daniel.

"It's been taken care of, Dan. Chill. Any problems with the school, Rachel?".

"No, all's good. I told them that Steph would be missing for the last few weeks of the semester because of family issues. Since she's handed in all her assignments, they didn't really bother to dig for more.".

"So, where do we begin? We have absolutely no clue where she is, we can't go to the police, her parents told you not to get us involved. How do we go about it?", says Thomas as he punches away on his iPad.

"I don't know, guys. I really have to sleep on this. I just felt that you guys should know.".

"Thanks, Chris. Well, I don't know about you guys but I'm definitely not just gonna' sit here and swipe away on my iPad while Steph is being held up in some God knows where location and I don't know, being tortured or something.", as Christine nudges Thomas and stares at him. The iPad disappears into his bag not long after.

"Sorry.", voices Thomas, "...but it doesn't make any sense, you know? Why would they want her? She's not some VIP and she's not swimming around in money. Are her parents some kind big shots back in Australia?".

"I don't know. All I know is that she's been kidnapped and whoever took her told-told her parents not to contact the police.".

"Has there been a demand for some sort of ransom?", Rachel adds.

"As far as I know, her parents didn't tell me anything about a ransom. Has anyone been able to get to Tobias yet?". 

"I tried calling him, like, seven times. No answer.", Christine says as she gets up to try again.

"It's weird, isn't it?", Daniel suddenly adds, breaking the momentary silence.

"What is?".

"Steph goes missing and her-boyfriend? Partner? Whatever. Tobias just goes missing as well.", continues Daniel. "...do you guys think that maybe-".

"They both were nabbed together.", Rachel cuts in. Daniel looks at her, then towards the group as the sudden realization dawned on every one at the table. I couldn't say anything at the moment, everything made logical, rational sense.

Everything except for the fact that the reason they took Stephanie is NOT logical and I know for a fact that Tobias isn't a shapeshifter. Still, the fact that he had gone missing the same time Steph was taken is starting to raise a few eyebrows.

"Once again, it went straight to voicemail. No luck, guys.", Christine says as she takes her seat again, Rachel immediately blurting out what everyone at the table just realized.

"Well?! What the hell are you waiting for? We should head over to his house. Now!".

Everyone nods and scrambles for their cars.

_________________________________________________________________________________

The doorbell to Tobias' house echoes as his brother opens the door to greet us. "Can I help you?".

"Hi, we're friends of Tobias. From uni? We were wondering if he's at home? He's been missing for a couple of days now and we're getting worried.", Rachel chips in.