Chapter 3.

Stephanie's POV

Not exactly what I was expecting on my first day - to be asked out by a guy. First time for everything, right?

After orientation, the freshies were pretty much done for the day as classes would only officially begin tomorrow. As I wandered about campus, trying to get to grips with the layout of the place, my stomach begins to rumble. Yeah, shapeshifting does help when it comes to burning off all your energy. Without wasting anymore time, I made my way towards the cafeteria.

______________________________________________________________________________________

As expected for any new student on an unfamiliar campus, lunch was a pretty sombre event as I sat alone in the corner munching on substandard fries and browsing through one of my books. A novel about shapeshifters.

"Hey!", a voice called out.

I dropped my book and saw this Tobias guy standing in front of me with his lunch.

"Mind if I join you?", he asks. Definitely a very shy guy.

"Sure", I smiled.

"So I guess we get to have lunch together twice, huh?", he jokes as he takes his seat, not directly opposite me and at the same time not too close by my side.

I place my book down. "Yeah, I guess."

"Not very much of a talker, are you? It's alright, you're new. To this country. Can't blame you, I'd probably be pissing myself right now if I were you.", he says as he takes a stab at his fish fillet.

"I wouldn't say that I'm not much of a talker, just...new to this, that's all.", I replied.

"Right. Of course. Is that all you're eating? Just fries?".

"I'm a vegetarian and they don't seem to cater to people like us, unfortunately.".

"Huh. Right. What's that you're reading?", indicating at the novel.

"Just some random fantasy novel", I replied.

"Let me see..."

He reaches over and grabs it before I have a chance to say 'Yes' or 'No'. Interesting people, these Americans.

"Wow, shapeshifters. Pretty cool. You believe in them?", he says as he hands the book back.

"I don't have to believe in them to like reading about them, do I?", I countered.

He rocks back and straightens out, probably surprised at my response. "Well, if it makes you feel any better, I like reading about all these kinds of fantasy...things. I write a couple of short stories in my free time."

"So you're one of those bookworm, fantasy-loving geeks?", I tease, trying to ease the tension I may or may not have created.

"I just love to be myself, geek or not", he says.

Nicely played, Romeo.

"Well, do YOU?", I smirk at him.

"Do I, what?".

"Believe in them? Shapeshifters and all?", I confirmed.

He smiles before leaning in closer, as if he's about to tell me a secret. I lean in as well.

"To be honest, I do", he stage whispers. 

I laugh before continuing on my fries. "You're funny, I'll give you that."

"If people are allowed to believe in a God and a Devil, of which they have no scientific evidence to prove their existence. Why can't I believe in werewolves and vampires?", he says, now halfway through his meal.

Smart guy, this one. Possibly had prior experience on some sort of debate team or whatever.

"Good point. Well, as to answer your question. Yes, I do believe in shapeshifters", I said coyly as I finish the last of my fries and begin to pack my belongings up.

"Really? Well, if that's the case, there's this fantasy convention happening this weekend. It's supposed to generate hype for some novel that's about to launch and I've heard that there's gonna' be lots of werewolf novels and whatnot."

"And you're asking me out on a date with you to this convention?", I smiled, eager to gauge his reaction. Although I had to admit, he did went all out on this one.

"Well, I..err, it's not really a date, I mean, if you don't want it to be", he scuffles with his words. God, do I find that cute.

"So, it's not a date? Should I bring along some friends then?", I feigned a sense of disappointment.

"No, no, it's a date. I meant for it to be one but I wasn't sure if you would..you know, agree to it if it was one. A date, I mean.", he stumbles again.

I laugh and begin to make my way. "It can be anything you want it to be, Tobias. Just let me know, alright? See you tomorrow."

"Yeah, sure. Cool. See you!".

____________________________________________________________________________________

I make my way out of campus and decide to call my father, who happens to own a small diner near our house selling, you guessed it, fish and chips.

"Hey dad! Orientation's over. Yeah, it went well. Nothing big. Sorry, about breakfast, I overslept. Yeah, dad, I didn't take the bus. I...well, you know, do what I do. Yeah. Is Hugo there for his shift today? He is? Need an extra hand? Cool. I'll be there in 15 minutes. I'll...you know, dad, do what I do to get there. I'll be careful. Love you. Bye."

With the rest of my day sorted, I make my way towards the park again. I just hope that it's still as quiet as it was this morning.

It's sort of deserted. Good. Now to find that same spot.

Once again, I peel the shirt off, followed by my shoes, socks and jeans. Lastly, my underwear. This feels so awkward. After folding them into a bunch and stuffing it into my bag, I crouch down and close my eyes and concentrate.

I decide to try a bird that I rarely change into. This should be interesting.

Focus, Steph. Focus. Inhale. Exhale. Envision it. Red-tailed hawk. Inhale. Exhale. Let your body do the rest. Focus.

I repeat the sequence in my head until I feel queasy and light-headed. I hear it. The liquid sloshing and small joints and bones breaking and molding themselves inside me. Ouch. My feet begin to slowly contort and my toes fuse together slowly but surely. My feet begins to feel hotter than usual as the skin turns yellow and talons emerge from my toes, which currently looks like a black and yellow blob of putty being pulled by an invisible hand.

As my legs thin out, the morphing noises become more apparent - and so does the mild pain. I put my hand over my mouth to suppress a moan that was expected to be louder than usual. Sweat droplets begin to form on my forehead. What follows is the transformation of my lower hips and rear end as it crunches and dissolves away. I fall to the ground, unable to support my human torso and upper body with my weak talons. I let out a muffled yelp as I feel my privates tighten and rearrange into a hawk's opening.

My torso begins to literally melt into shape as my breasts magically disappear and the faint taste of feathers creeps into my mouth as the hand that was over it begins to lengthen into wings. My shoulders began to punch themselves into my ever-shrinking torso. I can't keep this in. I let out an audible groan as my neck shortens into my body and my hair merges into my body. Finally, eyes pushing to the sides and my nose and mouth lengthen into a beak as my groan rises in pitch until finally a hawk's screech replaces the final traces of my human voice.

Great, I made too much noise. Better make a move before someone finds a hawk next to a missing girl's backpack.

I pick up the bag and immediately take flight, only to almost crash into a tree. Right, more practice in hawk form.