Chapter 20

2 days later.

"Please, I don't feel good. I wanna' throw up". Who am I kidding? These animals aren't letting me go. "Hang on. Let her go.", commands Kelly. "She's had enough for now. Let her rest, we'll pick up tomorrow.".

"But Kelly, with all due respect, the boss says-"

And that was the first time I came to understand what role this girl plays.

The poor sod must've soiled himself as Kelly's right arm immediately turned into some sort of silvery liquid and elongated in his direction, forming into a sort of tentacle and wrapping itself around his neck. The fact that he dropped his clipboard must've meant he understood and soon enough I find myself being released from the various types of shackles that hold me to the bed.

Holy fudgeballs. She's the other shifter that Chris must've been talking about the other day. Her being able to turn into other people and whatnot. She was the 'Chris' the other day as well, in the room with Tobias. It had to be her.

For the past 48 hours or so, I've had my blood taken, stuff being injected into me and, of course, forced to take various animal shapes. From which they would take more blood. Considering escaping is not an option as they've got me on a tight leash, sometime literally and sometimes figuratively. Plus, morphing would render me vulnerable during the shift itself.

"You alright?", Kelly helps me to my feet as the rest clears out. "Yeah. Thanks.". Remember, Steph, she's one of them. The last time you trusted one of them was what got you here in the first place.

"Come on. I think you need a walk.". Before I could say anything, the door to the lab whirs open and Kelly is leading me out. For the first time in a very long time, I'm actually outside of a building. Heck, being led out of the lab was a blessing but out of the entire structure itself? Wow. 

"Aren't you afraid I might try to get away?". She shoots a glance at me that suggests I shouldn't even bother trying. Point taken. She's not afraid of taking me on and I'm pretty sure I don't stand a chance against a girl who could turn parts of herself into liquid.

I take my time to circle as much of the structure as I can but it's the size of a football field. Probably two. We both say nothing to each other for the whole time, Kelly occasionally slowing her pace down - watching me from a distance like a concerned parent would when they let their kids stroll around the park. 

Just when I've gotten used to being outside, Kelly calls out and motions her head towards the lab. We make our way towards the building, nothing said between us. As soon as we're back inside I thank her and she smiles. "Hey Kelly?".

"Yeah?".

"I just wanted to say thanks again and...".

"Hmm?".

"It's nice to know I'm not the only one who can shapeshift.".

Almost immediately, her face changes, this time not in the sense that she's transforming but a shift in emotions. She fakes a smile and looks towards the floor before turning around, doors whirring shut behind her.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chris' POV

"Are you fucking serious?!", Steph's father slams both his fists onto the dining table, silencing everyone seated around it. Everyone being Steph's mum, her sister, Lisa, and myself.

"Look, I couldn't be bothered about how you're feeling right now, Mr. Chapman. I'm sorry that this had to happen and believe me, if we all had a choice, none of this would be real.". I must've sounded confident enough because everyone, including Mr. Chapman, calmed down.