Chapter 18

It's been three days since my big reveal to Tobias and I think he's taking it pretty well. We don't talk about it and he doesn't even attempt to bring it up anymore, rather he just lets me go on my own way when I tell him I need to disappear for a while.

Perhaps everything will slowly go back to normal. As normal as it can be, I guess.

I'm thinking of what the future holds for us. That, and trying to finish reading a couple of articles for research on the final essay for the semester. If you're bothered, yes. The semester is almost coming to an end and aside from all the morphing mess, life at university has been coming along just nice. Our usual group is tighter than ever and grades seem to be satisfactory although they can be better.

Chris has more or less returned to his 'normal' behaviour over the past few weeks, as well. He's hanging out, completing assignments and generally being his normal self. He still refuses to talk about the past month or so, though - shrugging it off and claiming that he was going through a rough patch.

Something tells me that's only the half truth. Stop it, Steph. He's fine. Get back to your books.

It's almost eleven at night when I get a call from Chris. Odd timing, indeed.

"Hey Chris. Yeah, I'm free to chat, what's up? OK. Sure, I won't freak but you gotta' tell me what it is. Riiight. Wait. Really? Really? Are you serious? OK, OK, OK. Look, it's late. Tomorrow? After class? Sure. OK. Goodnight. Bye.".

The heck just happened, Steph? Relax. Calm down. Go to bed and sort it out tomorrow.

____________________________________________________________________________________

The following day, after classes, Chris and I met at the park. We decided to meet several hours after class to avoid bumping into any one of our friends and having to explain ourselves - with me telling Tobias I needed some time alone again.

"Hey.", Chris waves half-heartedly as he spots me approaching.

"Hi.", said I, taking a seat next to him. "Okay, Chris. Last night, what you told me was pretty insane. Even by my standards. But-"

"Steph, please. You have to really trust me on this. I know, I know. It sounds crazy. It really, really does but you have to believe me. I think there's a plot to kidnap you. They know, Steph. Whoever they are, they know that you can...", he trails off, obviously trying not to replay the sequence of me taking hawk shape in his head.

"...and they kidnapped YOU?".

"That's why I've been acting all weird the past few weeks. The Chris that was hanging around you wasn't me. It was a fake.".

Now I know what it feels like to be at a loss for words when it comes to things like these.

"Steph, do you really think I would make this up? Even my parents thought that something was not quite right with me. I wanted to tell them, to go to the police but how do you think they'd react? There's only one person I knew I could go to.".

"OK. Go on.", I said.

"So this fake Chris. He's....well, actually, it's a 'she'.".

"What.....?".

"Listen. This is going to sound even crazier but she...she, changed. She turned into me. She's with them and that's how they've been getting to know about you.".

"There's another shapeshifter? And she turns into people?". Frankly, I'm half happy at this piece of news, knowing I'm not the only one but when she's working with people out to get you.

"As far as I know, yes. I don't know if she's like you.".

"Fudgeballs,", I mutter under my breath, "...what do we do now?".

"I don't know. I don't know who to go to about this. All I know is that you have to be careful, Steph. Really, really careful. Before they let me go-"

"Yeah, I wanted to ask you about that-"

"Let me finish. I'm getting there. Before they let me loose, they said that they were a hundred percent sure they've got the right girl, and that they didn't need me anymore. I don't know what that really means but I know it's not good. They could be preparing for something big.".

"Like kidnapping me anytime soon?". 

"Probably. I really don't know.". 

We both sit in silence as I try to work out my next move. The police? Chris has a point, no one would believe me. The parents would make sense but.....

"Steph?", Chris suddenly breaks the silence. 

"Hmm?". 

"I'm scared.". 

"Me too.". 

"No. What's scaring me is the thought of you getting into trouble. Getting kidnapped. I'm not gonna' let that happen.", he says as he turns to face me. 

I remain quiet, not exactly knowing how to respond to that. 

"Chris, uhm....I'll be fine. I'll be careful. Don't wor-".

"I like you, Steph. I really, really do. I won't let anything bad happen to you.". He scoots over closer to me. 

Wow. Now I really don't know what else to say. 

"I've always had a crush on you, Steph. Ever since the first few days we've met. Remember how I wanted to ask you out for dinner or maybe to come hang at the shelter? That's why. I like you, Steph. A lot.". 

"Chris. I....uhm...but...", I pause, unable to figure out the next words. 

"It's OK. Just wanted you to know that. I know, it's weird for me to just admit all of this in one go but in case anything happens. I just wanted you to know first.".

"Sure. OK. Don't worry, I'll be fine. You watch your back as well, alright?". 

"I will.". 

With that done and dusted, we both make our ways home. 

____________________________________________________________________________

On my walk back, I get a text from Tobias. 

<Steph meet me at Pencils at 7. need to talk to you about you know what. its important.>

That's all the way across town. Fudgeballs. Still, sounds like something urgent. 

I ring up Lisa to tell her that I won't be home for dinner tonight, citing something 'big' has happened between Tobias and I, before catching the next bus towards the city.