Chapter 6 : Riker's emotions

Chapter 6   

A few days later...

Rydel POV

Things weren't really any better in our house. In fact, they were probably worse. Mom and dad would argue for hours with Rocky, trying to talk some sense into him, and get him to forgive Riker. But he wouldn't.

Nobody would really talk at dinnertime, which was when we were all forced to sit at the kitchen table together. Everything felt awkward and tense.

Riker wasn't doing well at all. He blamed himself completely, and he's all depressed now. He spent most of his time curled up in bed, crying. I was able to drag him downstairs a few times. He would curl up next to me, with this really upset look on his face. And he would be completely silent.

Right now we were having another family dinner. Mom wanted me to go get Riker from upstairs.

I knocked on his door.

"Hey, Riker?"

Like usual, he wouldn't say anything. I opened the door, and found him curled up in bed, staring back at me with tears in his eyes.

"Mom says it's time for dinner."

"Not hungry."

"You say that every night, and mom makes you eat anyways. Come on."

"No."

"Riker, come on."

"I don't want to."

I stared at him with my hands on my hips, giving him a look.

"Ok, fine," he said, quietly.

I brought him down the hall to the bathroom. This was our routine every night. I made him wash his face so he felt a little bit better. And then I took him downstairs with me. He always sat next to me at the table, and he'd move his chair insanely close to mine. I think he was a little bit scared of Rocky now.

Rocky always sat across from us, and I'd catch him glaring at Riker a lot. Riker would slouch down in his chair, and stare down at the floor for most of dinner.

Tonight however... was different.

"Alright. I'm tired of this stupid fight. Riker. Rocky. I want you guys to make up right now," dad said, looking at them.

We all looked at Riker and Rocky.

"Rocky, I'm sorry! Please forgive me!" Riker said, starting to cry next to me.

"No."

Riker made this weird squeak, and curled up on his chair. I put my arm around him.

"Rocky, can't you see you're hurting Riker? Please just forgive him," I said, annoyed.

"He's just being a sensitive little baby. And that's his problem," Rocky said, crossing his arms.

"Rocky, make up with your brother. Now," mom said.

"No. I'm an adult, and if I don't want to ever talk to him again, then I'm not going to! He is the worst brother in the whole entire world! He deserves to feel this way!"

Riker got up, and ran upstairs. I heard him slam his door.

"Rocky, you are hurting your big brother. What Riker did was wrong, but what you're doing is also wrong. He apologized so many times. The least you can do is forgive him and stop treating him like he doesn't matter anymore," I said, getting up.

I went upstairs, and went to Riker's room. He was under his blankets, crying into his pillow.

"Riker. It's ok. Please don't cry."

"He's never going to talk to me again! This is all my fault! I'm the worst brother ever!"

"No, you are not! Rocky is just being a jerk."

I made Riker sit up. I gave him a tissue, and he blew his nose.

"How about you go take a shower, get into your pajamas, and then we'll go watch a movie together, ok?"

"No. I don't deserve to watch a movie."

"Riker, stop. Yes, you do. Come on."

I helped him get his clothes, and then I walked him to the bathroom.

"When you're finished, come to my room, ok?"

"Ok..."

Riker shut the door, and I went back down into the kitchen. I grabbed mine and Riker's plates, and took them up to my bedroom. Everyone was arguing with Rocky still.

I left my door open for Riker, and I went on Netflix to pick out a movie.

I knew Riker took fast showers when he was upset, so I knew he'd be out soon.

I heard angry footsteps coming down the hallway.

"This is all your freaking fault!" Rocky shouted.

He shoved Riker through my doorway, and he fell hard.

"Rocky!" I shouted.

"What!?"

"You can't just push Riker like that!"

"What are you going to do!?"

"I'm going to tell mom and dad!"

"Tell mom and dad what?" Dad asked, standing behind me.

"He pushed Riker, and he fell."

I turned back to face Riker. He was in tears again, sitting on the floor.

Rocky went to his room, and slammed the door.

"You handle Riker. I'll talk to Rocky," dad said.

I shut my bedroom door, and sat next to Riker.

"You ok?"

"My knee hurts."

"Ok. Do you want me to get you some ice for it?"

"Please don't leave me here alone."

"Ok. I'll text Ross."

Ross brought up an ice pack for Riker. I helped Riker into my bed, and I put on a funny movie for us to watch. I gave him his dinner, and we ate while we watched the movie.

Later...

Rydel POV

When the movie was over, I noticed Riker had fallen asleep, curled up next to me. I slid out from next to him, and shut off the light. I slid back in next to him, and pulled the covers up over him a little bit more. And then I went to sleep too.