Chapter 2 : Late for a date

Chapter 2      

Later...

Riker POV

I was hiding under my covers when I heard a knock on the door. I stayed silent, but whoever was at the door came in anyways.

"Rik."

The covers were pulled off of me, and I saw my sister. I couldn't help but start crying again. I was mortified.

"Riker, hey. Please don't cry."

"I'm so embarrassed," I whispered.

"I know. Half of it's your fault. But the other half is Rocky's. He shouldn't have been so mean about it."

"Does he hate me?"

"No, I doubt it. Riker, you guys are brothers. You know you guys have fights. But everything turns out ok. I think you should apologize though."

"Yeah, probably."

I wiped my tears. Rydel sat down next to me, and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Will you come with me? I'm scared."

"Sure."

Rydel walked me downstairs. Everyone was in the living room now. I stood in the doorway, trying to get up the courage to speak.

"Um... R-Rocky, could I speak to you please?" I said, quietly.

Rocky got up, and followed me and Rydel into the kitchen.

"Look... I don't know what I was thinking... Shannon is your girl, and I don't know why I was looking at her profile on your computer. I'm really sorry..."

"It's fine, bro. I forgive you. Just don't do it again."

Rocky pulled me into a tight hug.

"Thanks," I whispered.

We pulled apart.

"Come hang with us," Rocky said, grabbing my wrist, and pulling me into the living room.

Later...

Riker POV

I got changed into my pjs, and then slipped into my bed.

"Riker, can I ask you something?" Rocky asked, turning out the light.

"Yeah...?"

"Do you have feelings for Shannon?"

"Um... I... Ok... Well... I like her... But I don't know if I have real feelings for her or not."

"Ok."

"Why?"

"Just wondering... You seemed pretty upset earlier."

"Yeah, well I was. That was embarrassing. Shannon probably thinks I'm a creep."

"She doesn't think that. She's been worried about you all night."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah..."

I turned over in bed.

"Night, bro," Rocky said.

"Night..."

The next day...

Riker POV

"Everything has to be perfect, and I don't want any interruptions!" Rocky said, fixing the tablecloth.

"Rocky, everyone's going out except for Riker. We all have things to do. Chill," Rydel said.

"I just want everything to be perfect."

I sat at the kitchen counter, watching Rocky set everything up for his date tonight. He was cooking dinner for them, and then they were going to have some fancy dessert that Rocky had to pick up from somewhere far away.

"What are you making?" I asked.

"I can't pronounce it. It's some french pasta thing."

I continued watching him set up the kitchen table.

"Alright. So the dessert place is an hour away, so I need 2 hours. Shannon is coming at 8:00, so I should leave around 6:00. But I should actually leave at 5:45 in case I take a wrong turn or something. Wait! What time is it now!?"

I looked at my phone.

"It's only like 5:00."

"Ok, I have to finish cooking this, and then I can leave."

He'd had a pot of something on the stove almost all day.

"Riker. If Shannon comes early, since you're going to be here, can you let her in if I'm not back?"

"Yeah, of course."

"And then can you pour her a glass of wine?"

"Yes."

"Thanks."

Later...

Riker POV

It was almost 8:00. I was wondering who would get here first. Shannon or Rocky.

My phone rang, so I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Riker!"

"Rocky? Where are you?"

"I took a wrong turn! I'm almost at the dessert place, please just stall Shannon."

"Wait. You're not even halfway home yet!?"

"No! But I'm taking the highway home instead of all these back roads, so hopefully I'll get home sooner."

"Alright..."

He hung up right as the doorbell rang. I ran to answer it.

"Hey," I said, opening the door.

Shannon was wearing this pretty black dress.

"Hey. Can I come in?"

"Of course."

I led her inside towards the kitchen.

"So um... Rocky's just running a little late. He really wanted everything to be perfect for you two tonight. And he's on his way home from some fancy dessert place."

"Oh, cool."

"Can I offer you a glass of wine?"

"Sure."

I poured her a glass of wine. And I poured myself some too. I was trying really hard not to look at her. That dress fit her so perfectly, and my eyes just wanted to stay glued to her.

"Riker."

"What?"

"Do you know how long it's going to take Rocky to get here?"

"Um... Honestly... An hour..."

"An hour!?"

"Yeah... He left at 5:45. But I guess he took a wrong turn or something. I don't really know. But he's trying his best to get home as soon as possible."

Shannon sighed.

"He just wanted this night to be perfect. He feels really bad about being late."

"Are you going anywhere?"

"No. I mean, if you want to just sort of hang out until Rocky gets here, that's cool with me."

"Alright."

I sat down at the kitchen table across from her.

"So um... Tell me about yourself. I only know what Rocky tells me, and that's not much."