[Chapter 2] - Road to Recovery

-Photo by Neytirix (DeviantArt)-

Nick was happy to see Judy out of the hospital. She could walk, but her arm was broken and her head injury sometimes made her feel dizzy. For this reason, Nick would assist Judy over the course of two to three months until she was healed. They should not be able to go back to work for a while, but they still received enough pay to be able to sustain themselves.

However, Nick expected that just because they weren't on duty didn't mean that Judy wasn't going to try and search for clues involving the panther. It wasn't going to be worth trying to stop her, so Nick decided he would assist her. And when he found the panther that caused such harm to Judy- oh man...

Nick was staying in the same apartment room as Judy- at lest until she was healed. Considering how small her bed was, he pushed together several blankets and pillows and formed a sort of nest right beside her.

Late one night, when Nick was just about to fall asleep, he heard Judy whisper from the bed beside him.

"Did you ever catch the panther's face?"

Nick groaned. "Carrots, it's like one in the morning, can we discuss this when the sun is up?"

"Okay okay, but what if-"

"Carrots.."

"Okay sorry sorry."

So that morning, when the sun was up, Nick got out of his nest and began cooking breakfast. He wasn't entirely sure what Judy ate for breakfast, so he chopped up a bunch of carrots and put them in a salad. He shrugged, "good enough."

He took the bowl of salad and sat at the foot of Judy's bed. "All for you," he said with a smile as Judy began to wake up.

She took the bowl and forced a fake smile. "Oh, wow... Salad for breakfast... Thanks Nick." She took a bite. "Mmm..."

Nick watched intently and nodded. "See how well I know you?"

"Oh, yeah, very well."

After she ate her "wonderful" breakfast, she rose up slowly, using her right arm (the one that wasn't broken) to lift her weight. Her head felt dizzy, as it does when your laying down for a long time and get up quickly. But this was much, much different. She would have collapsed if Nick had not been there to catch her.

"You okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, yeah I'm... Fine."

She regained her balance and slowly began walking around the apartment, Nick following close behind in case she fell.

"I think I can do it now," she said, finally beginning to walk somewhat normally.

"I'm going to run to the store. Carrots, you really devour carrots," said Nick.

Judy laughed. "I can come too."

Nick shook his head. "If you can barely make your way around the apartment, I don't expect you to be able to make it to the store."

Judy crossed her arms. "Come on, Nick. I'm fine, I really am. Maybe we can get coffee afterwards?"

Nick considered carefully. "Fine, but if you feel dizzy, your immediately coming back. And you can have my words haunt you: I told you so."

"Pfft, I don't expect to hear those words leave your mouth in my entire life."

Nick smiled. "We'll see about that. Alright Hopps, let's go."

AUTHORS NOTE: OK, this was a short and  uneventful chapter, but the chapters get more interesting and are longer. I have great ideas for this story, so stay tuned! Thanks :D