[Chapter 14] - Jealousy

Nick unchained Judy from the chair. He attempted to help her rise, but the moment she got up, she collapsed into Nick's arms.

Nick and Austin each took one of Judy's arms and put them around their shoulders for support. Carefully, they left the room and the hallway, emerging into the tunnels.

Alyssa guided them back to the tunnel entrance. They took one look up the ladder and sighed.

"Judy, we have to go up now," said Nick. She nodded her head and wrapped her paws around the ladder, beginning upwards with Nick supporting her from behind.

Finally, after minutes of climbing, they emerged on the surface. The sun was beginning to set, sending the sky ablaze in yellow, orange, and red. A cool breeze swept through, ruffling the animals' fur.

"Nick, you need to get her home," Austin said. "I'll find Kathy and give Chief Bogo a call. He won't be happy about what happened, but Judy is going to need a day or two off of work."

Nick nodded and looked down at Judy. She was resting against a wall, looking dazed.

The fox walked over to her. "We need to get home, Judy. You need rest."

Judy looked up at his soft emerald eyes and nodded. They walked back to the hotel room, Nick lightly laying Judy on one side of the bed. He helped her get under the blankets and went to the kitchen.

From her small fridge, he took out a container of carrot flavored ice cream and set it on the counter. When he found a bowl, he filled it with several scoops of the orange colored, carrot flavored ice cream.

"Here you go," he said as he handed her the bowl.

"Thanks, Nick," she said, scooping a bite and eating it. They sat in silence for a while until Judy had finished eating. She set the bowl down on the floor next to her and looked up at Nick. None of them were really in the mood to talk, so, Judy just gestured him closer. He crawled up next to her and snuggled under the blankets.

Nick wrapped his arm around Judy's torso and rested his head on hers. She nuzzled underneath his chin and breathed in his comforting scent.

It was nice to be back with him, even after whatever happened. Judy couldn't remember anything. She couldn't remember how she had gotten so hurt, why she was in a chair, or where she had been. The last thing she had remembered was entering the tunnels, but the hour after that had seemed to be taken from her memory.

"I'm glad your okay," Nick muttered softly. "I don't know what I would do without you."

"Nick, I love you more than anything. Whatever happened is over now, so we should try to move on. OK?"

"Mhm."

The silence that followed was relaxing, even if the sound of their breaths was all that could be heard, it was every bit as comforting as them in each others arms.

***

The next morning, Nick was surprised to find that he had woken up before Judy. She was still in the same position as when she had fallen asleep, her head pressed against Nick's neck and her arms wrapped around him.

Nick laid there for a long time, not wanting to wake Judy or break the warmth that they shared. But finally, when he was fully awake, he silently crawled out of bed.

Today was their last day undercover. Tomorrow they would be back at the ZPD giving the information they had received. So far, that information was scarce.

They knew there was a group of animals located in the sewers. Were they just a gang- or were they in league with the panther? Judy had been tortured, so clearly they were dangerous. But if they were truly working for the criminal remained to be seen.

Nick walked over to the kitchen and found a small piece of paper and a pen. On it he scribbled:

Went out, be back soon.
-Nick

He took the paper and placed it on Judy's phone. The fox got dressed in his warm attire, brushed his teeth, grabbed his phone, and exited the hotel.

It was later in the morning, so the sun was out. Nick thought he would just go for a walk until Judy was awake, seeing as how hurt she was, she needed every minute of rest she could get if she wanted to go back to work tomorrow.

He took a breath out, the icy air causing it to be emitted as a visible cloud in front of his face. He had his paws shoved inside his pockets as his eyes looked around. He soon realized a familiar face outside the cake shop.

"Oh hey Nick," said Alyssa, putting the cigarette she was smoking in between her paws and resting it at her side. "How's Judy?"

"She's fine, she's just resting right now," he replied.

Alyssa nodded. "I had no idea what was down there... Was it a gang?"

"Dunno, we'll be back at the ZPD tommorow and they'll send down some investigators."

"Oh.. You're leaving?"

Nick nodded.

"Well, just so we can stay in contact..." Alyssa took a piece of paper from her pocket and scribbled something on it, handing it to Nick when she had finished. "Don't be a stranger," she said, walking into the cake shop.

Nick looked down at the paper and saw she had written her number on it. He thought nothing more of this than just being a friendly gesture, but Alyssa had other intentions.

After Nick had finished his walk, he returned to the hotel. Judy was already awake and snacking on a pawptart. "Finally back?" she said, standing up and kissing him on the cheek. "Where did you go?"

"Just for a walk, Alyssa asked how you were doing."

"Alyssa?" Judy asked, an unpleasant tone in her voice.

"Yeah, she was outside the cake shop."

"Oh..." she said. "That's nice..."

Nick noticed something was off with her, but he was, as Judy often said, a dumb fox.