[Chapter 5] - The Hopps Family

The train pulled to a stop in Bunnyburrow. Judy exited first, a huge smile spread across her face.

Nick came next, feeling a bit awkward at the stares he received from the rabbits.

The train station looked exactly the way it did when she first left for Zootopia. Her family filled the entire  platform with warm smiles on their faces.

From the crowd stepped Judy's parents.

"Mom! Dad!" Judy sprinted towards them and wrapped them both in a massive hug. "I missed you both so much."

"We did too honey," said Stu.
"So glad your home," said Bonnie.

"But one quick little question," said Judy. "Why did you bring the whole family? I'm just visiting."

"Well, it's not the whole family, I'd say about a third of it. They just missed you so much," said Bonnie.

"Oh, you haven't met Nick yet!" Exclaimed Judy. She walked a few steps over to where Nick stood, taking his right arm in her paws. "Mom, dad, I'd like you to meet Nick, my partner in the ZPD and best friend."

She could tell Nick felt embarrassed by the way he scratched the back of his head. "Mr and Mrs Hopps, good to finally meet you."

Judy's parents were a little hesitant in response, but they both shook his paw and introduced themselves.

Judy and Nick went around to her siblings, greeting them. Judy constantly found herself having to pry her brothers and sisters off Nick's bushy tail.

"It's so soft."
"So this is a fox tail."
"Catch it!"

"Would you mind if I borrowed the truck? I'd like to give Nick a tour of the place," asked Judy to her parents.

"Oh, uh, sure, just be back by six for dinner," Stu said, tossing Judy the keys. "It's parked just outside the station."

Judy skipped happily towards the blue rusted truck. She hopped into the driver's seat while Nick went around to the other side of the vehicle and sat in shotgun. Judy pushed the keys into the truck, causing the old thing to roar to life. She checked her mirror and put the truck in reverse, backing out of the dirt parking lot and merging onto the gravel road.

"Sure that's a good idea with a broken arm?" Nick asked.

"Don't worry Nick, it's nearly healed and the road is usually empty."

Nick rested his arm on the rolled-down window. Bunnyburrow was made of lush green hilly land. Nick watched fields of golden wheat blow in the breeze, and trees full of summer green leaves on each branch sway. 

It was June, and warm weather intertwined with a cool breeze making for a perfect temperature. Nick turned to the left and looked at Judy. Her violet eyes sparkled, and a slight warm smile was plastered on her face as she reminisced her youthful days in Bunnyburrow. This caused Nick to smile too, drawing the attention of Judy.

"What?" she asked. 

"Nothing, you just seem very peaceful."

Judy quietly laughed. "As much as I love Zootopia, whenever I visit Bunnyburrow I feel younger. It's the place my life started. It's the place I discovered who I wanted to be, a cop. Everything that's happened is because of this place, including meeting you." 

"If only I had been as fortunate. It's a beautiful place, Judy, and I would choose growing up here rather than in Zootopia without hesitation."

Judy could tell he was beginning to think about his childhood and all of the bad memories. "Nick, everything has happened for a reason. Everything bad in those days is over, and now we have our lives on track. We're away from the city now, and here in Bunnyburrow there's nothing a bit of fresh breeze won't cure."

Nick sighed. "You're right. I'm sorry, Judy. I can try to forget, but it feels impossible."

"I know, Nick. But for just one day, forget."