chapter 1

It's the beginning of school. 8:00. And I'm leaning against a wall outside of the wine store. It's cold but I don't care. It's dark but I don't mind, the names of shops surrounded me. I was tired. Turning around I bumped into Sam. She stood laughing. Handing me a bottle of vodka she looked at her worn out shoes. " God, I really need some new shoes."

I nodded. I looked at mine. I could use some new ones too. But I could never afford them. I lived in a small council flat just on the outskirts of East London. Mum was always perched on her couch. Fat going every where. She'd never laid down a job like she'd promised. She just kept on saying dad would pay for the flat a few more years until she got on her feet.

Sam put her hand on my shoulder. " Stop zoning out and drink some of it. I didn't get that vodka for you to waste."

I unscrewed the lid and began to take sips. It trickled down my chin and onto my shirt. I began to get heavier. Slugging it down until I suddenly stopped. I turned around. I heard a voice.It was a teacher. Mrs Bartholomew. She stood there. Hands on hips. She pointed her finger directly at me and Samantha.

"You two! Samantha Olsen and...Brooklyn Carson! Why are you not in school?!" She began to make her way over towards us. My heart was racing. I looked at Samantha. She looked straight ahead,her eyes hard and fixed on Mrs Bartholomew. Pushing me aside she shouted. " You don't scare me!" Then she turned around. " Run, give me the vodka and run. Go into school. I'll be fine. Don't tell anybody."

I nodded and handed over the drink. Wiping the sweat off my forehead I began to run down the pavement. Elbowing people who stood in my way and knocking things out of handbags. The school was about six minutes away. I wondered if Sam was okay. If she'd come up with a brilliant scheme to get out of this mess.

I ran down until I reached the gates. I shook and them until one swung open. Inside I could hear that they were having an Assembly. I swallowed. I walked down the hallway, kicking paper on the floor and spitting gum in the bin. I couldn't tell any body. It was my and Sam's secret. I would play it cool.

I bumped into Alicia. The school captain. She jumped. " What the hell! " She snapped. Then she slowed down." Oh it's you. Why aren't you in the assembly?"

I grinned. " Why aren't you?"

She giggled. "Because I'm practising." she stared at me. Knowing I was puzzled she smirked."You don't know do you? We're getting a new teacher. He's fit you know."

I took no notice and walked past her. She shrugged her shoulders. "Good luck getting at those fit abs before I  do"