Chapter 13

~Chapter 13 They Wear the Scars of a Car~

I put the slick hair behind my ear as I ate my cereal. I let the colorful, sugary, cereal filled my mouth and almost moaned. This was actually the first good thing that I enjoyed. I would eat but all I would taste it plain or my taste buds dying from nothing. I'm finally glad Ruby's part would let me eat sometimes. I couldn't live without food but since I'm in Ruby's body, I couldn't do much but act like her and try to find more information about where the hell my body and Jose is.

I tried calling my phone more than ten times but different people would pick up which freaked me out. I also tried remembering what my parents said about us moving but nothing came to my mind. The doctor said we live with our grandmother but my grandmother's been somewhere that my mom couldn't find her. We all thought she was dead until she sent me a birthday card last year, telling me I've gotten smaller and I have my mother's eyes.

I bit my tongue causing me to hiss in pain and taste the metallic blood. I wondered how Ruby lived like this. Rick and Uncle Jack were drinking and talking about sports and jobs and girls. I always loved talking about girls but now I questioned it. Girls had so much shit to do that I'm glad I was born a boy.

"Isn't it too early for beer?" I asked and looked at them.

Uncle Jack chuckled and said, "It's never too early to do something, sweetie."

I turned my attention to the man and he shook his head and walked to the living room with his newspaper. I opened my mouth to call him out but decided not to and let him watch TV. Rick and Uncle Jack were extremely close that Rick was a young verison of Uncle Jack. My dad and I were never close because he thought I was an emo teen boy who liked black and red and thought random shit that made me wondered if I was his son. I tried to do things that he would liked but he would brushed it off or like something new.

My mom didn't care about me. She baby my dad instead of me. When I was sick, she wouldn't care. She would've told me to go to school and stop whining. When I was hurt, she wouldn't care. She told me to stop crying and get back up, you wimp. When I founded out something that crushed my heart, she gasped and walked away from me. How could I call the man and the woman my mom and dad when they didn't make me? I shook the thoughts away. I'm getting to carried away.

"Where's...mom?" I asked. The word mom felt wrong and plastic to me. She's not my mom.

"She's outside fixing her flowers," Rick answered, not taking his eyes off Uncle Jack. I got up and walked towards the door. I grabbed the knob and opened the door, letting a slight breeze pushed the hair away. I hugged myself when goosebumps appeared. Looks like winter is coming. I walked out and turned a right to see the woman on her knees, placing a flower pot inside the dirt. I walked to her side and watched her.

After a few minutes I asked, "Don't you take out the pot?"

She looked up with squinty eyes. "Morning Ruby and yes. I just want to keep it safe." "But it won't grow. Here let me help you." I got down on my knees and grabbed the stems softly, pulling it out of the pot and putting it inside the dirt hole. I grabbed the small shovel and patted down the dirt around the flower. I smiled happily and looked at the woman who was looking at me. I felt like I did something.

"Did I do something wrong?" I asked.

She placed a hand on my cheek and smiled, shaking her head. "I just missed my baby girl. After everything, your father and I thought we couldn't get you back."

"What happened?"

The woman sighed and looked away, grabbing other flowers from her basket. "I knew this would happen someday. Your doctor told me you would forget things. Rick and you were going to Jack's house until you and him starting arguing about something and crashed into a truck."

--- 

I punched the view mirror and screamed at Rick. "You fucking idiot! Why did you take the long way? Mom and dad said left, right, and go under the bridge."

Rick groaned and rubbed his temples. "I'm taking another shortcut because I can and when the hell do you start listening to mom and dad? It's all about you and going to therapy."

He mumbled something under his breath and I was getting ticked off. I glared. "Do you wanna say that louder?"

He turned his head with cold grey eyes. "Why can't you be normal? Why do you have to fuck up things? Why can't you just shut the fuck up?!"

I opened my mouth to scream back when white lights blinded me. "Rick!"  

--- 

I blinked a few times, gulping a large lump in my throat. "I-I was in a car crash?" I said.

The woman nodded and looked at me with sad eyes. "Rick was worried about you. When you hit your head on the window and headboard, he thought you were gone. You lost a lot of blood, dear."

I couldn't speak. The thought of being in a car crash made me sick to the stomach. Ruby been so much shit that it's bringing me down with her. I tried to block out the memories of Ruby and mine but they just come out of nowhere, showing me what Ruby and I done before. Why is memories coming back to me? Is this supposed to show me something in the future?

"It's just so hard. You're only sixteen, Ruby, and you have all these problems," the woman said sadly. I didn't have the problems. Ruby did. I just want to go home. Ruby's phone ringed in my pocket.

I took it out and clicked the phone. "Hello?"

"Ruby?"

"Jose?"

There was a pause.

"Jose?" I repeated.

"I'm sorry...you just sound like Oli."

I cleared my throat and mumbled, "yeah."

"Can I come over?"

I looked at the woman and she had a nervous look on her face. I knew Ruby's family didn't like Jose but that was there problem. Jose is my best friend and I'm not leaving a best friend behind. Even if he stabbed me in the back.

"Sure," I said cheerfully. "Come over at 3."

"Alright and Ruby?"

"Yeah?"

"I missed you."

My heart squeezed. "I missed you too." I whispered.

He clicked his phone and I left the phone on my ear, heading his words though my head.

I missed you. I missed you.

"They aren't going to like this," the woman said flatly.

I shrugged. "They'll have it get used to it."