Water, is Taught By Thirst (trailer)

Kathryn's POV

“Let’s fix this, guys,” I laughed, igniting my body like a torch. Jacob jumped back to avoid being burned. Laughing, Pyro raised his hands and stole some of my fire, molding it into a ball on his palm. Hela let out a screeching sound and ignited herself as well, but we couldn’t see very far in the pitch darkness. “Pyro, can you give us some more light?” I asked.

“Let me,” Nari replied, whispering a spell that caused a small, miniature sun to float up into the sky, illuminating the chamber with a dim, grey light not unlike the dawn before it breaks the horizon. “This better?”

“Much,” I replied. “Where are we?”

“It’s a city,” Nari said. “A quite large city, at that. And it’s night. All the candles are out.”

“All the power is out,” I replied. “That’s weird. I recognize this place. It’s Times Square, and it’s usually lit up like a Christmas tree all year around, twenty-four hours a day. And it’s usually bustling with people. Where are they?”

“Maybe SHIELD evacuated them,” Clint suggested. “The only question is why. Did they know Chitauri were coming?”

“Look,” Patsy said, pointing to the sky. “Look at Stark Tower.”

A blue hole was beginning to yawn open in the sky, and out of it came the Chitauri. “Not this crap again,” Natasha hissed.

“All right, guys. You know the drill,” Steve ordered. “Hawkeye, I want you somewhere high. We’re going to need a vantage point just like last time. As for the rest of us, this is a simulation. We don’t need to worry about a perimeter but if this were a real battle, we’d need one. Since we don’t have Stark, that’s your job, Peter. You have the webs you need to swing through the air. All three of you pyrokinetics, listen up. Chitauri are sensitive to light and heat. Use your powers to destroy as many of them as you can. Our priority is Stark Tower. We need to punch a hole to it. Thor, Nari, you provide cover for them. Watch their backs. Sleipnir, go wherever you’re needed. We’ll need healing at some point, I’m sure. Jacob, you stay with me. We need to draw the fighting away from the tower and ease the work load for the pyrokinetics. Girls, I’m going to need intel. You’re both good at sneaking. Go out and find it,” he ordered Nat and Patsy.

“What of me?” Tessa asked. I had almost forgotten about her.

“You… I have no idea what you can do, so stay out of trouble. If you can find a way to close that portal, go for it. Otherwise, just take care of yourself and don’t be a hindrance.”

“Okay,” she said, before mumbling something in an odd language that sounded like gibberish and sitting down on the curb, her knees tucked up to her chest.

“Okay, team. Let’s get it done,” Steve said. “Attack.”

I held out my hand and created another small ball of fire. “Be careful with this, Pyro,” I said.

He took it and nodded. “You can count on that.” The look in his eyes proved he wasn’t lying to me. “Let’s go.”

I ignited my body and ran down a side street, heading directly for the tower. I could hear the footsteps of Hela and Pyro behind me, and I could hear the zinging of spells and the metallic ring of Mjolnir as it rammed things out of our way in the grey dawn. We were unopposed and things were going easy. Then the Chitauri found us.

All at once, we were ducking from purple lasers that were shot from Chitauri guns. Since it was a laser, air couldn’t deflect the blast and neither could water or fire. I needed a solid element. Time to call up earth.