Chapter 12

I felt as if my soul wasn't connected to my body. I felt as if I was floating, floating into nothing but open air. I could hear voices around me. They sounded frantic and panicked. They were far away. I tried with everything in me to get back to my body, but it wasn't happening.

Then something hit me. Hard. It hit me so hard that it made me feel as if I was falling. And I was. I was falling out of my perfect, peaceful sky.

Chloe, baby open your eyes."

Another hard hit.

" I need you right now. Open your eyes for me. Show me those pretty things."

Another hard hit.

It was Reese. My soon-to-be boyfriend I hope. My bad boy. I wanted to touch him.

" Guys she isn't waking up," Reese said. His voice sounded far away again. I tried so hard to open my eyes, so hard.

"Well maybe she needs this rest. She's emotional and physically tired. Let her have this break."

Just as she said that i realized how tired I honestly was. I was drained and I did need this break.

"Yea, you're right."

I once again felt my body lifting into the air and i was floating again. Everything was quiet and my body was relaxed. I was sleeping.

Reese's POV

I watched as her eyes fluttered then stilled completely. My sweet beautiful angel. I rubbed my hands threw her hair and placed my lips on her forehead.

" The agencies director is on his way up. He said we may leave and come back tomorrow," Lance said standing from his spot on the floor. We were all crowded outside the crime scene.

"We are still dropping the gun off tomorrow. Tonight we just need to rest and get our heads together. Reese take her to bed and lock everything up," Rick said from his spot.

I stood quickly and collected Chloe in my arms. I didn't know what to do. I was lost without Chloe. I really needed her to wake up.

"Reese, listen to me. Take her home
and lock all of your doors," Rick repeated, suddenly in front of me. I nodded my head and walked away from them.

He was free. How? How did that even happen? I was sure we were watching him closely. I pushed the button in the elevator and waited until it opened.

I promised Chloe that I was going to keep her safe and I plan on keeping it. I was going to protect her. But how? How can I keep her safe and keep her with me. The elevator door opened and i walked in, leaning against the back of it.

"Chloe. Help Me," i whispered directly into her ear.

She didn't move. i sighed and watched as the doors opened. I stepped out and was greeted with police and the agency director. They looked at Chloe then me and let me pass without another word. I could hear sirens in the back letting me know that the ambulance was on the way as well.

I rushed over to my car and placed Chloe in the back seat. I strapped her in so she wouldn't fall while i was driving and hopped in the front seat. The ride back to my place was silent. I looked in the review mirror and watched Chloe sleep and i knew what i had to do. As much as it killed me i knew.

I drove down my narrow road and licked my lips. Chloe. I'm going to keep you safe. You may not like the way I'm going to do it but I'm going to keep you safe. I parked my car and killed the engine while staring at her in the review mirror again. Her hair was covering her face and her body was crooked. I chuckled and scratched my chin.