Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“We got another letter today and I‘m about to read it out loud so everybody hush,” Reese said, pulling the paper out of his pocket. 

I watched Reese lips move as he read out the contents of the letter, then I watched everyone’s faces as they took in the words that were coming off the paper. As I looked around the small group, I realized that these were the people that I had no choice but to depend on for awhile, and one of them was going to get hurt. It didn’t matter if we did everything right, someone was bound to get hurt in this game and I couldn’t help but to feel like it would be all my fault. 

I looked over at my best friend as her hand tightened in mine. This crazy girl who I’ve known since forever is getting involved in something that has nothing to do with her and putting her life in harms way just for me. 

“Hey Amber,” I whispered. 

“What?”

“You know you’re my sister right?” 

She turned her head so she was facing me and nodded her head. 

“Yeah.”

I looked at her and smiled. 

“You know I Love you too right” 

She recognized what I was implying and pulled me into a warm hug. 

“Nothings going to happen to us. Any of us.” 

I took in what she was saying and nodded but I knew. I knew the truth. 

Reese finished up the letter and you could tell he was pissed. 

“What’re we going to do?” he asked in a strained voice. He quickly glanced at me before looking at everyone one else again. The room was silent and everyone had on there thinking face. 

“We give him the gun.” 

I looked over at Rain and watched as he rubbed his chin hair.

“What? Are you out of your mind?” Reese said. 

As Reese started yelling at Rain I started thinking. 

“Wait, wait Reese that’s a good idea,” I whispered standing up on wobbly legs. 

He snapped his head towards me and narrowed his eyes. 

“Yea we can give him the gun. So that way no one gets hurt, but he didn’t say that we couldn’t hurt any of his people. Right?” 

Everyone looked at me like I was stupid and I was pretty confused myself but I wasn’t about to show it. 

“Ok guys listen, Mr. Moon won’t be there to collect the gun because he’s in jail. That leaves his stupid guys right? Well who says Mr. Moon is the only one who can leave messages? While we give them the gun, why don’t we just leave a little message too?”

Reese continued to stare at me, but not in anger anymore. I couldn’t put my finger on what it was, but it was making me feel weird so I had to look away. 

“I understand you firecracker,” Rick said, walking over to me. I flinched a little when he reached out to touch me, which made him narrow his eyes at me. 

“Come here,” He pulled me until my side was pressed into his and his left arm was around my shoulder. “You don’t have to be afraid of me. I told you I was sorry. I wasn’t going to hurt you, I only wanted to make you better at shooting.”

“Well you went by it the wrong way,” I spat out and shimmed out of his touch. Just because I forgave him doesn’t mean I liked him. 

“Yes he did,” Reese said popping out of no where and wrapping an arm around my waist. “Don’t wrap your arms around her anymore.”