Chapter Two: Bench and Bus Buddies

The rest of the day was uneventful. Dean was only in one of my other classes, but he sat towards the front instead of in the back. He kept throwing me glances over his shoulder. It was hard to ignore them, but somehow I did. I got out of that class quickly so he didn’t get a chance to talk to me afterwards. He had really gotten on my nerves earlier. He acted like he expected no less than all of the girls in his classes to be drooling over him. It’s stupid and makes him seem like a jerk.

                In my last class, English, we got a handout about the field trip for the seniors in two weeks. Apparently, we were going to go to the Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum. ‘Seems fun enough…’ I thought. The bell rang just as I stuffed the paper into my bag and hauled it onto my shoulder.

                I hurried out of class as always. I had no need to stop by my locker, so that made me one of the first students out of the building. My bus wasn’t there yet, which meant that I would have to wait for a bit. I groaned and made my way over to the bench by the curb. Usually no one sits there, but when I got there, someone else was already sitting. I plopped down on the other end. The kid jumped slightly. I had obviously startled him. He looked like he was a freshmen or in his last year of middle school. Either way, he was a few years younger than me.

                “Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you,” I said.

                “It’s okay,” he said, looking up and giving me a small smile. He had brown hair that covered his forehead and brown eyes that looked like they saw more than appearances. It was as if he was staring past your eyes and, however cheesy it may sound, into your soul.

                I smiled back, probably for the first time that day. “I haven’t seen you around before,” I commented, taking him his appearance. He wore a plaid shirt and a dark colored jacket, along with regular jeans and sneakers.

                “I’m new here. My name’s Sam.” He extended a hand.

                I took his hand and shook it. “I’m Kim. Nice to meet you, Sam.”

                “Nice to meet you too,” he said, his smile growing.

                “So who or what are you waiting on?” I asked.

                “I’m waiting for my dad to pick me up,” he said as the rest of the students began to file out of the school and into their cars, their parent’s cars, or their bus. I checked the time on my phone. I was definitely going to be late getting home. I sighed.

                “So, how was your first day of school?” I asked. He frowned and twiddled his thumbs. It wasn’t until now that I saw a light bruise forming on his jaw line.

                “There’s this guy who was picking on a kid in my class. I told the guy to stop and he got mad. Now I’m his target for bullying.”

                I frowned and turned sideways on the bench and sat cross legged, facing him. “You have to stand up to him. It may be hard, but that’s the best way to get him to stop. And if you ever need anything, I’m here.” I smiled at him and stood up as my bus arrived.

                “Thanks,” Sam said, smiling. It seemed like he was glad to have a some-what friend. I gave him a small, mock salute and a grin as I got aboard my bus. I sat down in my seat and pulled out my sketch book and iPod. Putting one of the headphones into my ear, I began to draw and doodle on the blank page. A girl with short brown hair sat down next to me a few seconds before the bus pulled out of its parking space.