Chapter Seventeen: Do I Really Need To Wear A Dress?

Mondays, the enemy of every student on the planet. I groaned and pressed the snooze button on my raging alarm clock. Five more minutes never hurt anyone, right? Well, it can if you miss the next alarm. I fell back asleep and didn’t wake back up until 11 am.

             “Shit…” I mumbled. “No point in going to school now, I guess,” I reasoned to myself. Becka was at work, and it wasn’t like she was going to be mad about it. I would catch up on the work, eventually. I dragged myself out of bed and trudged down the stairs and into the kitchen for some late breakfast. Instead of food, I found Alyssa sitting on my counter eating from the ice cream container.

             “Took you long enough to get up,” she said around the ice cream in her mouth.

             “Why are you in here? How long have you been in my house?”

             “You weren’t at school; and I didn’t feel like staying, so I came here at like, 8.” She shrugged.

             I laughed and crossed to the fridge. “Alright then.” I noticed the fridge was almost barren and turned to look at Alyssa. “Did you think to leave any food for me?” I asked.

             She smiled and threw me a granola bar. “I didn’t eat these. I don’t know how you stand them. They’re just nasty! They are all sticky and they get caught in your teeth and it’s completely gross.” She shuddered.

             “So are you going to the dance tonight?” She asked as I opened my food.

             “The dance?” I hadn’t heard of any dance from anyone.

             She scoffed and rolled her eyes. “The dance that the school is having tonight to commemorate the opening of it, which is 50 years ago today!” Wow. I didn’t know the school was so old. “God, you’re so out of the loop, Kim! It’s like you don’t even try.”

             “Exactly, I don’t try. Anyway, who decided to have a dance on a Monday? That’s so stupid.” I took a bite of the granola bar as she continued.

             “You absolutely have to go to this dance, Kim. Everyone is going to be there. I bet Dean will come too,” she replied with a grin and a wink.

             I rolled my eyes. “That’s supposed to be a reason to go to some stupid shindig that the school is hosting? I’d rather stay home and watch TV or read.”

She frowned and shook her head. “Okay, look here, missy. I’m going to make you go to this dance if it’s the last thing I do. You are going to go and you’re going to dance and have a good time.” She crossed her arms. “I’m not letting my friend fall into social oblivion.”

              I sighed. There’s no point in arguing with her when she gets like this. Even though I don’t care about whether I fall into social oblivion, as she says, it seems to be very important to her. So I will just have to make do with the situation and go along with her crazy plans and ideas.

             “Alright, fine. I’ll go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                “Do I really need to wear a dress to this thing?” I asked, looking through the clothes in Alyssa’s huge closet. After seeing the contents of mine, she deemed my clothes unworthy and said that I would just have to borrow some of hers for the night.

                “Yes! It’s a formal dance! You can’t wear what you normally wear to a formal event. You’d stick out like a sore thumb.” She looked through the dresses on her side of the closet. To say the least, there were a lot of them to look through.