Chapter Eight: Promises

A/N:

Not sure how much I like this chapter, feels odd to me.....

_____________________________________________________________________________

It’s been a couple weeks since the day that Dean and I hung out afterschool. We presented our project last week. It turned out better than we had originally thought it would. The work started to get even easier in both math and history, so we usually just spend the class time talking or texting. I feel like we’re really close. It’s like I’ve known him forever. I trust him right now more than I’ve trusted anyone in a while.

The only other thing that has changed recently is that my nightmares have gotten worse. Every time I drift off to sleep, bam! Back into a hell hole of a dream. Every time I close my eyes, scenes from them replay in my mind. It’s safe to say that I haven’t gotten much sleep in the past week. But, none of that mattered right now. My dad was coming home for the weekend, and I couldn’t wait!

I was thinking about seeing him for the first time in almost a year when my history teacher’s phone rang. He hung up and looked over at me.

“Go down to the office. They say that there’s a phone call for you.” I nodded and got up. Dean looked at me curiously and I just shrugged.  I walked out of the classroom and down the long hall. I finally got to the office and the reception lady led me to an unoccupied office and patched the phone through.

I lifted the phone from the receiver and put it to my ear. “Hello?”

“Is this Miss Kimberley Blackwood?” a stranger asked. He sounded gruff and unpleasant.

“Yes, and who’s this?” I asked.

“This is Lieutenant Colonel Hughes.”

Every muscle in my body tensed. This better not be the call I think it is. It can’t be!

“I am calling about your father, Blake Blackwood.”

“Y-yes, that’s him.” My lip trembled and I started shaking.

“I’m sorry to report that he was killed earlier this morning.”

“No, no. That can’t be right! He can’t be…” Tears began flowing down my cheeks. “He was supposed to come home today,” I whispered.

“I’m very sorry, Miss Blackwood. He was a good friend and a great soldier.”

“I know.”

I said a hurried goodbye and hung up, falling to my knees on the floor. The woman from reception came in after hearing the noise. It seemed like she already knew what happened.

“What can I do for you?” She asked.

“I want to go home.” I said, tears falling hot and fast down my cheeks.

“Understandable. I’ll get one of your classmates to bring your stuff up here, and then we’ll work out transportation.”

I nodded and wiped my cheeks. I stood and walked into the front room, hugging myself. I couldn’t believe any of this was actually happening. It was like one of my nightmares. I desperately hoped I would wake up. But, this wasn’t a dream. It was the horrible, sad, true reality. And the worst part was there was nothing I could do about it.

Dean came into the office with my stuff. I kept my head down. I didn’t want him to see me like this.

“Hey, I got your stuff. Why are you leaving so early?”

I didn’t answer, just looked down and willed the tears to stop running down my already soaked cheeks. But they wouldn’t stop.

“Kim? Is everything okay?” Dean asked. I felt his hand on my shoulder. I over at him and watched his expression change from concerned to shocked to worried in a second. “Kim, why are you crying?” he asked softly.

“He’s gone. My dad, he’s just gone.”

Dean engulfed me in a hug. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” He said.

“Can you just take me home?” I asked.

“Yeah, of course. Come on.”

The lady at the front desk stood up. “Kimberley can leave, but you can’t, Mr. Winchester. You still have classes to attend.”

“Yeah? Well, too bad. I’m skipping,” he told her and stood up.

He took my hand and pulled me to my feet. He led me outside and to his car. Dean helped me in and started driving towards my house. The whole time, he only let go of my hand to get in on his side of the car. He gave it a reassuring squeeze, letting me know silently that he was there for me. I wipe the tears from my face and gave him a small smile.

“Thanks, Winchester, for everything.”

“No need to thank me, I’ll do anything for you.”

The rest of the drive to my house was quiet. He parked in the driveway. Becka’s car wasn’t there yet, so that meant I would be on my own. We got out and Dean walked me to the door.

“Call me or text me, if you need anything, alright?” I nodded. He started walking back to the car, but I grabbed his arm.

“Wait.”

“What is it?”

I pulled him closer and gave him a tight hug. He hugged me back and I rested my head on his shoulder.

“Can you… will you please stay?”

“Sure, if that’s what you want.”

I pulled away and opened the door. We sat on the couch and I turned on the television. I could see Dean glancing over at me from time to time. After a while, I paused it and sighed.

“I don’t know what to do, Dean. I don’t know how I should react or what I should do.”

“Just do what you feel like doing, react the way you feel. That’s the only way to deal with this kind of thing.”

“I’m just sad that he’s gone. And angry that I can’t –couldn’t –do anything about it.”

Dean didn’t say anything and I looked up at the ceiling.

“I’ve been having nightmares since my mom died. Nightmares about my dad leaving too. Nightmares about something happening to Becka. They all end with me being absolutely alone forever, everyone I ever cared about just gone. The thought of it scares me so much. I can’t deal with them anymore, Dean. And now they are coming true!”

I hadn’t realized I had started crying again until I felt Dean gently wipe away a tear.

“Kim, look at me.”  I complied and looked at him. “You aren’t going to be alone forever, alright? There will always be people around you that love you. They won’t all leave you. You aren’t the kind of girl that people will just leave behind all alone her own. You won’t have to lose everyone. After all, I’m not going anywhere, not without a fight.”

I smiled at him. I would think it’s impossible to smile at a time like this. But, around Dean, it’s almost impossible not to.

“Promise?”

“I promise.” 

______________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Like I said, this chapter feels odd to me. Maybe a little rushed? Maybe a little too weird-ish? I don't know. Anyway, comment what you think! Does it feel like an out of place chapter to you? Does it seem to rushed? Either way, I hope you liked it!

Until next time!~