The Gherkin

The thud of helicopter blades filled the air as we jogged towards the landing zone. We had visited the HQ tent before and following a quick briefing from Nathan, and returning his card, we had headed out.

"What's our support gonna be?" said Bull loudly over the whirring engines, "we're only getting a black hawk for this one!" replied Ray and Bull looked disappointed. We rounded a corner and arrived at the landing zone, the black hawk we came in blasting air around it as the engine roared in preparation for its flight.

Ground crews were jogging back and forth to the helicopter carrying black crates of ammunition and passing them to the crew chief and door gunner of the black hawk. As we jogged to the open side of the helicopter the various ground crew members saluted us and when we reached the door the crew chief saluted us, "welcome aboard sir!" he shouted over the engine "we're leaving in 5 minutes so I suggest you get comfortable!".

We nodded our understanding and clambered on, I decided to sit at the back of the cabin next to the open door. The crew chief loaded the last crate of ammo into a tall box next to the minigun and headed into the cockpit to tap the pilots shoulder, they exchanged unheard words and the pilot nodded.

The ground crew outside were scurrying away and the last one stood in front of the helicopter and pointed to the sky with both hands and saluted before hurrying away. The pilot the pulled on his joystick and I felt the helicopter lift into the air and we sped upwards and off around a building.

We stayed silent as we flew through the air, the roaring wind making conversation near impossible. I gazed out over the skyline of London looking for the round silhouette of the Gherkin. I wondered though, why the gherkin? From what I can remember of books and maps, from my home settlement, it was just a government office building before the war....

I continued to ponder this for at least half an hour as we flew. Getting bored I looked around the cabin as we banked to the right, there! I saw it through the other open door as we sped past another tall building. The tall bulbous shape looming in the skyline. But as I looked I noticed a strange platform jutting out near the top of the structure that must've been a landing pad, and as we neared I saw that it was an addition to the original structure, seemingly welded onto the metal framework of the building.

The closer we got, however, the more apprehensive I felt. As I squinted at the tall glass structure, I thought I saw wisps of black smoke seeping out from the entrance to the platform. I looked at the others and judging by their expressions and their grips on their guns I wasn't the only one feeling apprehensive.

We slowed down as we neared the building and even more air billowed into the cabin as the pilot lowered the black hawk gently onto the landing pad. As the pilot flicked switches in the cockpit causing the engine to slow to a stop, Ray led the squad out of the helo and onto the platform with dull clanks as our boots hit the metal.

We approached the entrance cut into the building that led off the platform and eyed the shadowy space nervously. Slowly Ray stepped into the darkness.

A hand shot out from the side of the entrance and grabbed Ray's vest before a tall balaclava clad man, whom the hand belonged to, pushed him up against the opposite side of the entrance with such speed none of us had even raised out weapons before he had drawn a knife against Ray's throat.

"WHO ARE YOU!!?" The man bellowed with such authority and power even Bull hesitated as he raised his minigun. "Ray Garret, Tier 1 Hunters!" he replied hurriedly, his eyes wide as he looked down at the knife at his throat, "we're here on level 1 clearance business from NATO Command for Conrad Galleger!".

Immediately the knife was sheathed and the man relaxed. "Sorry for the poor reception" said the man, in his sonorous voice, "but we've just had an unexpected visit from UEFP forces from the ground floor". Ray and the others just stared at the man as he stood there so I stepped forward, "are you by any chance Conrad Galleger?" I asked and the man nodded, crossing his arms as he turned to me.