The End

The Ground was cold, damp and lifeless.

The mist hung in the air like cobwebs draped on a mirror, dark and gloomy. The only sounds came from my equipment, clinking mournfully as my boots crunched on the frozen ground and the breaths of air that curled in wisps of steamy air, as it was exhaled slowly from my mask.

The rifle cradled in my arms was cold, worn and menacing but was a welcome weight to feel against my chest in the depraved insane world that I lived in, and still do today. Life struggles in this new order where anarchy reigns, and it was kill first and ask questions later.

The street that I walked down was like most I had come across in my time, abandoned. Vehicles and burnt out husks of chassis were all that was left from the traffic of the old world. Many vehicles were taken in the early days by other survivors looking for wheels out of town or to bolster their carpools, but many vehicles still remained abandoned.

The odd skeleton would be seen strewn across the road or pavement or sometimes still strapped to their seats in cars where they were killed before they could escape, but sometimes the more disturbing sight of a fresh body, mangled and bloody, a gruesome reminder of the monsters that still roamed this world, would confront me and remind me of the constant danger that had been thrust upon humanity almost driving us to the brink of extinction.

Mutation was rampant among the living. Both human and other creatures were affected. The creatures that in the past were, mostly, harmless had now become horribly disfigured, crazed, abominations of nature that stalked the tunnels and streets of the apocalypse, feeding and attacking when they could, relentless with their assault on humanity.

Meanwhile the mutations among humans were varied. Many and most mutations, although mutations in general were small in number among the human race, were mainly horrific mutilations of the body where features were warped and limbs melted or swollen. But among the few were the lucky few; these humans had obtained, somehow, mutations that endowed them with incredible unnatural and powerful abilities.

I am one of these lucky few, and although we may look normal we are anything but normal.

Our abilities or 'powers' as some may call it varies between us but we are all remarkable feats of evolution.

Just as i had reached the centre of the street i was walking down I looked up. Sensing eyes surveying me that I could I could not see, I raised my rifle in caution, my senses heightened,

and as I turned slowly on the spot, shadows came to life and my bullets began to fly.