Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Sunny Taylor

I woke up to a small wet nose brushing against my own. I opened my eyes to Mittens, who meowed softly at me and rubbed the ride of her face against mine. I gingerly ran my hand over her back, shoving my face into my pillow.

After a couple seconds, I realized I felt sick. Like I-am-going-to-throw-up kind of sick and I instantly knew what it was. It was post panic attack sickness, which I often got when I had panic in the night.

I got up and went to the bathroom, using the toilet and brushing my teeth, trying not to throw up. After brushing my hair and washing my face briefly, I opened my door and wandered into the main room, where I found Angie making coffee.

She said, “Good morning love. How did you sleep?” I didn’t answer immediately and being the alert person she was, she looked up and her eyes widened.

She walked over and picked up a blanket off of the couch, wrapping it around my shoulders and sitting down before saying, “You look like you are dying! Are you feeling okay?”

I gave her a sad smiled and answered, “I am feeling a bit under the weather, but I am sure it is just anxiety stuff. Thanks though.”

She looked at me for a moment, evaluating what to do. I wasn’t really all that sick, just the usual which consisted of an upset stomach, a fever, and a headache. It usually only lasted a couple hours, so I would most likely be fine by the afternoon.

She stood up and went to the kitchen, getting a cup of water and some Tylenol, handing them to me and reassuring me, “I have been there many times and know exactly what you mean. Take these and I will make some chicken noodle soup for you.”

I took them and thanked her, “Thank you but you really don’t need to do that. I don’t want to be a burden; after all, I was just thrusted into your life.”

She waved off my comment, “I would not have taken you in if I wasn’t completely okay with having you here, and you are certainly not a burden!”

I shook my head and said, “I should at least cook for myself. I can learn how, and I can clean and wor-“

“Love, don’t worry! I have a friend who cleans for a living so I have a discounted rate, especially since my house isn’t that big. And don’t need to learn to cook because I enjoy doing it, and you can get a small job if you want,” Angie cut me off.

I smiled thankfully and offered, “Well, if you don’t want me around bugging you all day, I could go to school…”

She shook her head and said, “No, I have work most days and school is too risky, the other pack could have members out searching for you. In fact, I was thinking we could dye your hair. It would come out in a month or two, when the dust has settled…”

I was confused by what she was talking about. Packs? I decided to ignore it and say, “I am sure if you think dying my hair will help, it will. Whatever makes things easier for you.”

She grinned and said, “You really are such a sweetheart, just like Bo said. Oh, and I should tell you that I have to go to work in a few minutes. The soup is on the stove, and I showed you where all the silverware and what not is. There is some stuff in the office, which could be used as entertainment. Especially lots of art stuff. I went through a phase, but it turns out I am better at designing than I am at drawing it out.”

I giggled softly and she continued, “There are some clothes in there if you want to paint, and newspaper to put down. Other than going on the internet and watching TV, painting is mostly your source of entertainment available for now. Maybe after we dye your hair, I can take you out. I will pick some up today. Oh, and my number is on the fridge. Call if you need anything.”