Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Sunny Taylor

I felt a trickle of the dye escape from the mess on my head and dive down my shirt, leaving a cold trail on my back, which triggered the chill I soon felt. Angie had gotten the dye out at ten o'clock in the morning, setting up the station to she could use it to alter my appearance.

She continued to run the hair dryer over my covered hair, all kept up in a shower cap. I perked up when she suddenly shut off the dryer. Angie spun my chair to face her, and she squinted at me before leaning my head back in the sink, carefully removing the uncomfortable plastic, which I was silently thankful we were done with.

She then proceeded to run her delicate hands through my hair, toying with it for a few seconds before brushing it and turning the hair dryer on. She dried it as she brushed it, and before I knew it, the rather obnoxious process which involved me getting a face full of hot air was finally coming to an end. She spun me so I was facing the mirror, and my jaw dropped. I looked like a completely different person.

My now brown hair was straightened, and my eyes welled up with tears. It was a mixture of joy, the joy of a new beginning to keep me safe and remove my worries. That, and a feeling of sadness. Sadness that I had to let that girl go. That girl that was in love with Blake. I had to forget about that girl while I looked like this. I was now Sunny.

"Well, I hope that means you like it love. And don't worry, after a couple months, it will fade out." Angie said as she put away her tools. I knew there was no hiding the overwhelming emotions that had taken me over from her.

Angie walked over to the sofa and sat down, patting the other half as her eyes showed a rather... A look that I couldn't quite figure out, but somehow she was making herself seem innocent and harmless, possibly to make me feel safer to talk to her.

I walked over, sitting on the sofa to face her, biting my lip. My heart began to increase the beating ever so slightly, as anyone's does when someone needs to talk to them. It's a natural reaction to humans universally.

She sighed, looking me in the eyes before telling me, "I am going to try to tell you all of this as delicately and gently as possible, with it still making sense."

I gulped, worried for what she was going to say next. She paused, "I- All of us except you, we are all werewolves. Werewolves... Werewolves are essentially just enhanced humans. We have better senses, we are faster and stronger, naturally good looking. The biggest difference is that when you turn a certain age... You start to be able to shift into a wolf."

My breath caught in my throat and my eyes stayed wide. I had known... I had known in the back of my mind, but to hear someone really say it changed everything. I felt like my whole life had been a lie, though I knew it hadn't.

Angie noticed my absence of words, so she just continued, "Wolves live in packs. Kind of like families, but you aren't all related. More often than not, the majority of a pack will live in a pack house. Actually, some of your friends live in a pack house. Bo, Blake, Olivia... I believe Trevor but I could be mistaken."

I shook my head.  That made sense in a weird way, but this new concept, it just was too different. I took a deep breath, letting her continue. She said, "And werewolves, we have these things called mates."

I hadn't even realized, but I had my eyes closed as she talked. They were now wide open. Mates. Blake had mentioned it in his note to Daniella. I had spent nights up thinking about it. She elaborated, "Its like soul mates, but real, and more intense. Every werewolf has a mate, and it is usually another werewolf, but I guess there are exceptions. Generally, there is a genetic reason why a wolf and a human are mates."