Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Blake Adams

I couldn't wrap my head around what was going on. Once Sunny was gone, as were all the other humans, I stepped forward and using my alpha voice, I demanded. "Explain this to me right this moment."

Jason was enjoying every moment of this. He was the beta of our enemy pack, and Chandler belonged to my pack. This was not okay. He explained, "Well, you see, it's really very simple. We are mates and she was gone so we didn't realize it until now, but Chandler will be joining my pack."

I looked at Chandler. Though on the surface she was displaying pride and lust, below that she was afraid. Our enemy pack, Jason's pack, was not a friendly one. They did not have equality, and women in that pack were not treated well.

I shook my head and stated, "Chandler may not make the best decisions, but she is still a part of our pack, and we do care about her safety, so I demand that she stays with our pack. That is final." She was barely part of the pack due to the incident, but she still was part of it technically.

I could see the small sliver of hope in her eyes. This was the second time I ever felt bad for her. She did make the choices to get where she is.

Jason growled and tugged her closer, "Like hell she is. My mate is going to my pack where she belongs. Where I will keep her safe."

She smiled at him, and I lost hope. She and her family would be removed from my pack and would not be welcomed back. That is how these things worked.

I shook my head and went to class. I kept thinking about it all day. After school, I went for a run. I thought about my family.

It was a lot of pressure being the son of the alpha, the future alpha. Everyone expected perfect everything.

Perfect looks.

Perfect behavior.

Perfect grades.

Perfect speeches.

Perfect mate.

I couldn't let them get to me though. I made mistakes just like everyone else and they would have to get over it.

I had made one big mistake when I was younger, and though no one spoke of it, and though I was only three, they still judged me for it in their minds, and I could tell.

I had only been three, but my older sister, Blaire, was eleven. She was the perfect one. Really pretty, strong, smart, nice, funny, and a great leader. Her and her mate would run the pack when the time came.

We were just playing around; nothing bad was supposed to happen. We were down at the lake, without our parents' permission.

It was winter and there was a rather thin layer of ice over the lake. No one was supposed to go on it because it could crack so easily, and years before we lost a teenager who was ice skating under the influence.

I was playing along the edge with my marbles when my favorite one rolled onto the ice.

Being a three year old, it was necessary I recovered my favorite marble. I still remember the stupid marble that changed everything. It was blue and had a sun on it.

I took a tentative step, unsure of how safe it really was. My sister was playing with her barbies and did not notice me.

After a first successful step without the ice breaking, I slowly walked over to the marble, picking it up triumphantly.

I took one step back towards shore, and that's is when I heard it.

Crack. I looked down and there was a crack in the ice. I shrugged and took another step, but this time my foot fell through.