Chapter 5

Kamaria stared at the silver dress laying on her bed, unable to put it on. It wasn't that the dress was hideous or anything, in fact the dress was the exact opposite. It was beautiful in its simplicity and Kamaria was certain it would look amazing on her.

It was what the dress represented; this would be the dress she would wear when she was introduced not as Goddess of Night, but as Sethos' fiance. So far, Kamaria had only spent a few hours total with Sethos, but still, she felt nothing. She tried to feel something but trying to force feelings is like trying to move a mountain.

What if she felt nothing for all eternity? Trapped in a loveless marriage, unhappy and alone? Her vision started to blur as the heartbreaking thoughts swirled in her head.

She blinked away the tears trying to focus instead on her makeup instead.

The only good thing Kamaria was looking forward to was the fact that tonight was a masquerade - her mother's idea of course. But she reveled in the idea that Seth might not recognize her. Maybe then she wouldn't have to dance with him. She knew, of course, that that was just a dream, she would have to dance with Sethos.

Will Ki actually come?   She could feel her cheeks turn a shade of pink just thinking about him.

No, I can't think of Ki, he is nothing more than a friend -

Her heart clenched and her stomach churned at the thought, but she focused on breathing through it.

The silver dress hugged her curves in all the right ways, while still having room to sway with her movements. She curled her hair and pull it to the side so it flows off her shoulder. Kamaria stares at herself in the mirror. She hardly recognized herself. The sliver mask covered her cheekbones and nose perfectly. The green accents made her eyes stand out among the silver.

A smile crossed her face. For the first time in her life, she actually looked like a Goddess.

The party was in full swing by the time Kamaria made it to the ballroom. Masks and gowns of many colors swirled around the room at dizzying speeds. She nodded to people she recognized and give a small smile to those she didn't. She convinced herself she was looking for Sethos, but in the back of her mind she was looking for Ki.

A hypnotizing pair of honey eyes caught Kamaria's  gaze. The owner wore a tailored black suit, that showed his toned physique. His mask was Silver with blue accents, but it was his eyes, she couldn't look away from.

She tried to move but she felt frozen in place. Suddenly the room seemed to warm -  and yet, in that moment, they were the only two in in all of Olympus.  Her breathing picked up and she could feel her cheeks color in response.

"My I have this dance?" His voice low and seductive yet somehow familiar. He didn't  break eye contact as he bowed his head slightly.

"Yes" she curtsied in response without even thinking.  

No, no, no what am I doing? 

Before Kamaria could stop herself, she took his hand as he lead her towards the center of the room.

He twirled her around and pulled Kamaria into his arms. She could feel his hand secure itself on her waist and the other cupped her hand. She placed her free hand on his shoulder as he pulled her closer to him.

She gave her thanks for the mask covering her cheeks. She could only imagine what color they are right now.

He lead her into the dance, still holding Kamaria's eyes. Why couldn't she look away? If Sethos were to see, she knew he wouldn't be happy. But right now she didn't care. They twirled gracefully around the room, never losing eye contact.

"After the way we met, I didn't think you'd be so light on your feet" Kamaria's mouth dropped open but his face lit up with laughter.

"Ki?" Were his eyes always that color? That mesmerizing?

Ki twirled her around before lowering Kamaria into a dip. A laugh escaped her lips as he pulled her slowly back into his arms. They both frowned when they realized the music had ended. They stared into each others eyes a moment longer, not wanting this moment to end.

"Thank you for the dance" Ki bows his head again and kissed her hand. She didn't know what to say. Could she ask for another dance or would that be selfish? Kamaria wanted to be selfish - she wanted to dance with Ki and no one else for the rest of the night. She grabbed his hand before he could get away. 

Ki's eyes meet Kamaria's, he had hoped she would not let him go. A small smile crossed his face as he leaned in close to her, his whisper low and rushed "meet me in the gardens once night is completely upon us"

Kamaria stared after him as he exited off the dance floor, leaving her alone in the center.

The colored haze of swirling gowns came back into focus and began to surround Kamaria, close enough to suffocate her.

Of course I cannot go to the gardens. She thought with a frown as she forced her way off the dance floor.