Chapter thirteen: Chicago (part two)

-Bella’s POV-

I was standing on the balcony of our room. Outside it was dark again. Alice and Eliza were inside and Jasper was getting some food for me downstairs like he does every morning, afternoon and evening if I am not asleep. And even when I am awake, I barely touch it.

It has been two days since we’ve arrived in the hotel. Eliza and Alice talk sometimes to each other, but mostly to me. Except that, they are just staring and doing nothing. After I went to bed that morning, after Eliza told me how to become a vampire, I couldn’t sleep. I thought of Edward and how I missed him. I thought of him, Rosalie and Emmett hunting the tracker. I thought of Esme and Carlisle and what the red haired woman could do to them. I thought of Jasper and Alice, just sitting here in the room beside the bedroom. But when I heard the dry sobs and Alice’s calming words, I thought most of all of Eliza.

Eliza, that tried to kill me that afternoon. That has become almost a sister to me in only a few hours. The Eliza that still loves James as much as I love Edward and sacrificed her own chance for love because of me. Because James is what he is. A tracker. I am not worth so much pain and danger to all the Cullens.

I heard Jasper behind me with another palate of food. “I know what you are feeling.”, he said and I turned around. “And you surely are worth it.” I sighed, this was just nonsense. “Jasper, I am tearing this family apart. And I didn’t even mention Eliza yet. It’s just hopeless.” He left the food on a little table and went back in again. He probably felt that he could not change my mind. This whole idea of me running from Forks was just hopeless.

Charlie had called the Cullens, but (of course) no one answered there, that’s what Alice had seen. Yesterday I called home, knowing that he was still at work, so he couldn’t take up the phone, so I didn’t had to lie to him in person. I am a horrible liar.  I told him I was going with Eliza and Edward to see their family in Chicago (I didn’t even lie about the Chicago and with Eliza part) and that school knew about it. Alice had called them as well.

It wasn’t a good excuse, but for the time being it was all right. Eliza made it up, but even she said it wasn’t one of her best. She has almost come as quiet as Jasper those days, desperate  to get a call from Edward saying it has ended, but almost as scared of getting the call itself, knowing that James would be dead by them.  I am so sorry for her.

I had also called my mom, knowing that she’d be called by Charlie as soon as she took up her phone. Although that could take years, since she lost it each and every time I still wanted to make sure she wasn’t worrying sick about me. And she would eventually.  I only gave her the number of Alice’s phone, because she wouldn’t call back immediately.

When I came back into the room I saw Jasper and Eliza looking patiently at Alice while she was drawing on a sheet of paper. “What’s up?”, I asked, but Eliza silenced me by holding her own finger at her lips. I walked towards them and I saw an old graveyard with trees all around it, like the forest continued there. It looked rather creepy.

Alice sat up again from the paper and looked dazed. I bet she had a vision of this place. “Are you sure you had a vision of this place. 100%?”, Eliza asked. Alice nodded, she was being supported by Jasper’s shoulder to keep her up. “Why? Have you seen it before?”, I asked her, curious to know what she would be doing on an old graveyard. Wait a minute, Chicago, old graveyard. This was the place where Edward and Eliza’s parents were buried! And Edward and Eliza themselves, even though no corps was laying there.