Chapter 6

As they silently ate their meal, her mothers face was set as stone as she took a bite of her steamed lobster. Nick cleared his throat. "So Danni. How did you and Quincy meet?" Dream rolled her eyes and took a sip of her wine. When she invited Danjur and a guest over for a make up Thanksgiving dinner, she never anticipated it being Quincy Hilson, not an african american young man, who has nothing going for himself in her eyes aside from music and in her opinion not very good at that. "Actually daddy, we've been really good friends for the past 5 years. He just recently became one of my most important clients." Danjur responded with pride. Truth was intrigued by his sister and Quincy's relationship. "What are your intentions with my daughter?" Dream asked with a stand off attitude. "Well Mrs.Keli. As of right now, it's to be supportive,care for her,be anything that she needs for as long as she needs." Dream still wasn't pleased. She still didn't approve. "So how long have you been dating my sister?" Truth wished his mother would back off of Danjur just once. The couple looked to each other and smiled. "We've been dating for about 4 months." Quincy responded with pride. Dream scoffed. "Something you wanna say mommy?" Dream took a gulp of her wine again then poured herself another glass. "Why would you think that dear?" She asked with sarcasim. "Well mommy, for starters you're awfully quiet. Quiet has never been apart of your vocabulary." Dream smirked and shook her head. "Well when you're disappointed, you have a reason to be quiet." Nick saw how badly this was going. Danjur sat her fork down and looked at her mother. Quincy placed a calming hand on her thigh. "Disappointed by what exactly mommy?" Danjur was over her mothers attitude. Patience sighed. "Mommy not in front of the kids." Dream scoffed. "Kids go in the living room and watch tv for a minute please." The kids got up and quietly went on thier way. Quincy began to get kind of ucomfortable. He felt as if this awkward dinner was his fault. "Dream, don't do this. Not tonight." Nick spoke up before things got worse. "And the problem is?"

Dream highly disapproves of their relationship and she was going to make it known. "I think you've had enough to drink mommy." Patience said to her mother. "I drink as much as I got damn well please. As long as you disrespectful ass kids come here and consistantly disappointment. Danjur. You. You're the worst of them all." Danjur rolled her eyes. Danjur stood up and threw her napkin down on the table. "Well I'm sorry to disappoint mother but I'm happy where I'm at. If you can't except it then that's your own issue!" Dream stood and slammed her hand on the table. "I will not sit here and be disrespected in front of everyone by a disgraceful child."  Quincy was now infuriated. He stood to defend Danjur. "With all due respect Mrs.Hilson, I cannot sit here and allow you to be little such a kind hearted person. She's sweet and non vindictive. She's doing well for herself and I'm proud to be with her. If you can't accept it then that's your loss." Dream was taken a back by what was just said to her. "Get out. Get the fuck out of my house now before I call the police!" Nick stood to try and calm his wife. Patience and Truth felt sorry for their sister. "Dream be rational about this. She's our daughter." Nick said to her. "No daughter of mine brings home people by the likes of him and expect me to be happy about it. She went against my wishes and I will not stand for it." Danjur wiped the stray tears on her face away. "I'm done trying to please a bitter ass woman. I try so hard to make you proud of me but nothing I do is ever is enough. I'm done." Dream was suprised that Danjur spoke to her this way. "Get out." Danjur looked at her mother in disgust. "With pleasure. Daddy, Pati, Tru. I'm sorry about tonight. Give the kids a kiss for me. I'll see you around." Quincy grabbed her hand and began leading her away.

Nick was fairly hurt by the whole ordeal. He was disappointed in his wife. Truth looked at his mother and shook his head. "You were wrong." Dream took another swallow of her drink. "She's never gonna forgive you for this." Patience walked away and got her chldren to leave. Truth decided to stay with her for the night seeing as how they couldn't stand their mother at the moment. "I'm guessing you agree with them too?" She asked her husband as he stood there looking at his drunk wife in disapproval. "If they never speak to you again, You have no one to blame but your damn self. Dream that is your daughter! Our daughter! and instead of being loving and playing nice you hurt and embarrased her! I don't agree with them but I do understand how they are feeling. Your a grown ass woman acting as if your 5. They are your children, not those snobby ass bitches you hang with everyday of the week. Get a grip on reality and learn that love has no color. Your no better than her. Those kids father may have been white but he had a black father himself. I know because he was my best friend!" Dream knew it was true and despised black people as a race because of what her childrens father did to her. She never forgave him and felt that they all were the same. "If I didn't know any better, Dream I would think you only married me because my mother is white. Think before you act." Dream let out a deep breath. "I really messed up huh?" She whispered. "In the worst way possible. Dream sobbed as Nick cleaned up the dishes and went to bed for the night. He refused to console her or feel bad because she hurt the most important people in the world. He know she meant well, she just went about it the wrong way.