Chapter 26 - Take it Slow

A/N -  sorry about the last chapter hehehe...hope this one starts to make it up to you guys...I fell I'm missing stuff in this chapter so this is one I plan on going back to and fixing up...I've just been to tired from working everyday to really reread it...I just wrote..so let me know if it sux

Channing stepped into the forest and everything stilled. Heaviness pressed against him.

Something...everything seemed to turn toward him. He was judged and assessed every step he made.

Talon did not come...but he knew...knew deep down that if he was found lacking...she wouldn't need to.

Everything here was hers.

Everything here would strike.

He walked on letting the light feeling in his stomach guide him.

Wolves slunk nearby through the trees, sunlight dappling their grey fur.

Birds flew low over head, close enough that the slipstream from their flight rippled against his face as their beady eyes stared at him.

He climbed up and up.

The feeling in his gut leaking elation in to his blood stream...she was close now.

He stepped in to a clearing.

A massive tree stood gloriously in the middle, huge buttresses protruding from its base. Prolific numbers of birds and flying insects darted in and out of the bright green foliage. It was an ecosystem on its own. Channing craned his neck as he sought to spy the top of the tree.

The thing was huge.

What some men would give to cut this behemoth down, he sighed heavily at the thought.

Talon was here somewhere, why wasn't she coming out to meet him? Attack him?

His eyes roamed the area carefully.

Sunlight glinted on ice blonde.

There.

His heart started to beat again...finally really beat. Beat with life.

He stepped forward into the clearing.

The only warning he got was the rush of wind over his hot skin. He jumped back as the tree drove one of its branches in to the ground where he had just been standing.

He blew out deeply and raised an eyebrow. No wonder Talon felt safe enough to sleep there under this hostile colossus of a tree.

Talon was a good seventy five metres away. He swallowed with narrowed eyes.

A tree would not stop him getting to her...now or ever.

He slid down the trunk of a close tree and resting his back against it, ignoring the blood seeping down his chest from his cheek. He needed a plan.

His eyes rested only on Talon, he could hear her slow heart beats, she was clearly in a deep sleep. He smiled, thinking of the times she had been wrapped in his arms, so out to it a gunshot above her head would not have wakened her.

He let his hungry gaze rove over her slowly so he would not miss a thing.

Tiny flowers were littered through her shiny hair, much longer than it was when she was taken. Her cheek bones were more defined now, her skin sun-kissed and flawless.

Thick black lashes were the only marks on that honey dew skin, those and plump pink lips. Delicate tips now featured on her ears, proclaiming her duel heritage.