Chapter 8 - Rieden

Rieden realised three things in that moment. One, that no matter what, it would be a folly to even attempt to call on a sliver of his power. That black stuff was something that he decided would be best not enrage...for now.

            Two, by Channing's reaction to his last statement it was obvious that he did not know he was 'a cursed'. That was interesting and worrying.

            And three, his respect for Asren's fighting skills just tripled due to his victory over one of these, because standing before him now was a truly malevolent and formidable creature, Channing's huge body was radiating with dark power, black veins stood out on bulging muscles and his ebony eyes warned of the terrors he would inflict. He now resembled something fashioned from nightmares and what was worse Channing seemed to be at ease with it...embrace it.

            Rieden knew he had to tread carefully now...he could not afford to drain the powers he had in reserve from Talon. He didn't think broaching the subject of being a cursed was his best step toward preserving his life while Channing was in this state.

            Instead, he pulled out his nail file and began picking at the dirt embedded under his nails. "So I have been thinking, "he glanced up under his eyelashes, Channing had not moved a muscle but was staring at him intently, " if Zarvane had travelled out of the country with Talon he would have either needed her to be certified as 'dead' by a doctor, that would require a good mount of pay off and he would need to purchase a coffin in the same general area. I have been investigating that lead while we have been travelling but to no avail. There's nothing. So I'm wondering if Zarvane has indeed left the country at all? I believe he thinks he is a major element in the prophecy. So what does he think is going to happen next...and where? Did Carden ever mention it?"

Rieden glanced up at Channing, relieved to find the blackness that had invaded his veins receding quickly and now his bright blue eyes clear of the blackness watched him with only interest.

            "I'm not sure what you are talking of?" He stretched out his arms over is head, Rieden tried to ignore their size. He was already trying to be calm around this Slayer...and not think of him being so close to Talon in the past or the future.

            "This is the prophecy of which I refer to...

Which will claim the one with the three?

Moonlight or shadow, who will it be

For the sleepers to have a return

For one shall be

Gifts will combine for the other you see

Other ears the key doth need

To save the pure heart from the greed

When the snake shows

This will be the beginning of the end

All against the key this will send

Dark befriends light

And day the night

But do not misjudge the enemy

The blood of the one with the three

Will give power to any of thee.

To possess it none will stop

The lair will be opened from just one drop

For one union means a sacrifice

The other will mean the death

To ensure the key will survive

Will take the strongest heart of all.

Beware of the one lurking in the dark