Chapter Five: My heart swelled with pride as I walked past everyone.

*I did not draw the deer or take the photograph, I just found a tufted deer fawn online and edited it.*

 "We will have to find the bear first," Milu said.

    "But what does it mean by 'Look for the blackest bear that will light up the night,'?" Monty sighed.

    "Maybe it means a Black Bear that, uh...Has night vision?" I guessed.

    "Teo, the owl has the enhanced vision." Monty rolled his eyes.

    "Oops. Sorry, Monty."

    "Teofilo, are you sure you didn't see anything in your dream?" Milu looked at me.

    "Yep. Just darkness." I shrugged.

    "Well, we should go to the Bear Lands, of course," Milu pointed out.

    "Then that means you have to go with Teo, Milu. They aren't allowed to attack royalty. But they're allowed to attack me, and I'm too old to fight back," Monty told him.

    "Wait, they might attack you? Will they hurt me?" I asked, scared.

    "Only if you wander and go alone. The bears hunt young deer, and you wouldn't stand a chance against them. With me around, they'll know you're important and won't hurt you," Milu explained.

    "Why would they hurt Monty?" I whimpered.

    "The King and Queens haven't agreed on protecting the Healers yet, Teo. Only royalty and government are protected, which means it's illegal for carnivores to attack them," Monty explained.

    We were all trying to get Milu and I ready for the long walk to the Bear Lands. It was Summer, and the baking heat felt uncomfortable. Monty said that Milu had to wear the Prince's Necklace so that predators would immediately know who he is.

    "Oh. But why don't the Kings and Queens agree on it?" I wished Monty could've come. He's less serious than Milu is.

    "Because they think we're all so 'easily replaceable.' They obviously don't have their own healers, or else they'd be more easily persuaded," Monty scoffed.

    "Couldn't you just bite them with your fangs?" I tilted my head.

    "They're tusks, Teofilo," Milu corrected.

    "No, I'm too old even to react fast enough," Monty sighed.

    "Oh. Alright."

~*~*~

    Every deer of the village had gathered to say farewell. All genders, species, and age.

    "C'ya later, Teo!" Avihu pat me on the head.

    "Stay safe, you two." Ghyslaine bowed respectfully to Milu.

    "Make us proud, Teo." Eponine.

    "Goodbye, Teofilo and Prince Milu." Lurdes.

    "Be careful. Good luck you two." Momma and Monty.

    My heart swelled with pride as I walked past everyone. They actually cared about me. Monty picked up a necklace, and Milu lowered his head as Monty placed it over his antlers. It neatly slid down his neck, dangling on his chest. The necklace had some sort of purple gem on it, the string tied around it securely. 

    "This gem that has been brought to us by our ancestors shall protect you from the enemy during your travels." Monty bowed, and Milu nodded.

    "Thank you, Elder," Milu said respectfully. Too formal to even call him Monty, huh? He started to walk and I immediately followed him. 

    "Where are we going, Milu?" I asked as I walked next to him.

    "To the Marsh. We must notify Lily of where we are going, so she can tell the Wild Leaders," Milu said, not even looking at me.

    "Who's Lily? Royalty?"

    "Not quite. Lily's The Elder's granddaughter. Training to be an assistant to the Deer Representatives."

    After walking a while, I instantly knew we were in the Marsh because I almost fell in water plenty of times. It looked like vast, open meadows with only a few differences. So. Much. Water. It looked like a lake that had an overflow of islands,  or one that was rained on by soil. The Marsh was large, but you could still see the oak trees surrounding it. There were long grasses all over the place, but you could see where generations of deer have walked on it.

    I narrowed my eyes, and I could see a small, grey figure in the distance. A wolf? No...Too skinny and too long of legs. "Who is that over there?" I looked at Milu and stopped.

    "Lily," he said as he just kept walking, "Hurry up, we mustn't keep her waiting."

    I hurried and we trotted over to her, and I got to see what she looked like. You could obviously see that Lily was related to Monty because she had the same body shape and fur color. But, she didn't have any tusks and didn't show much of a tuft. However, the small tuft she did have was a beautiful autumn red. Lily had soft, jet black eyes, and a very clean, tidy coat. But I noticed something odd on her leg...Was that metal?

    "Oh, h-hello Prince M-Milu! I didn't e-expect you to come with someone..." She sounded very nervous, but I didn't know why. Was it because of Milu's presence, or was she normally like this?

    "Hello, Lily. This is Teofilo, possibly the next Guardian." Milu nodded to me.

    "You can also call me Teo if you want..." I awkwardly mumbled.

    "I have come for you to deliver a message to the Deer Representatives," Milu spoke.

    "W-which one?" Lily asked.

    "Either Adalia or Azarias. I want you to tell them this: 'I, Milu, have discovered a fawn that is possibly the next Guardian. We will follow the prophecy that has been sent to him, and have to go to each of the animals territories so that we can find the rest of the Guardians. Please notify the other Wild Leaders of this so they do not attack, and are prepared for the visit.' Understand, Lily?" Milu explained.

    "Y-yes Prince Milu. I'll go to th-them at once." Lily thought for a moment, possibly trying to memorize the message. Then she bounded off in the direction of a giant tree in the distance.

    Milu turned to look at me. "Teofilo, it's time to go to the Bear Lands. Are you ready?"

    I thought for a moment. I'm seriously doing this...I'm the next guardian. It's gonna be my job to find the rest, but can I really do this? What if I mess up? Could I destroy the fate of the forest? What if I—

    "Teofilo! Are you ready?" 

    I froze. Then I decided. I looked up at him. I nodded. "Yes. I'm ready."