Chapter Four: "But...Milu, he's been infected. What'll that mean?"

*Image above is how Milu looks. I did not take this photo; credit is in the bottom left corner.*

    "Uh...Well, does anyone remember their names?" I asked, trying to confirm my theory.

    "Hm, I only know four of them...I can't even remember which animal had which name, though. There was Berenike, Malkhaz, Rizwan, and  Apollonios. Don't quote me on that, though. The Elder would throw a fit," Momma chuckled but stopped when she saw my odd expression. "Teo, what's wrong?" he asked me as she tilted her head. 

    "I just...I had a deer in my dream, named Apollonios with that symbol on his chest. He fought off a demon wolf that was attacking me."

    Momma gasped and stood up. "Oh my goodness...Elder!" she exclaimed.

    She ran out of the glade and the guards she passed exchanged confused looks. "Er...Any idea what that was about?" a guard turned and asked me.

    "Something about me having a guardian in my dream, maybe?" I shrugged, not quite knowing either. The guard blinked in amazement. 

    Later, Milu and The Elder came to the glade. They stood in front of me, with The Elder smiling and Milu looking emotionless as usual. Milu spoke first, "Teofilo, please explain to us in depth what you dreamt about."

   I told them my entire dream, or at least what I could remember. The Elder grinned and turned to Milu, but he just kept a straight face. Does he ever express emotion?  "Teo, this is fantastic news! This dream means you can't be entirely corrupted! But...Milu, he's been infected. What'll that mean? Guardians aren't even affected by demons in the first place since they add a spiritual barrier. Won't they—"

    "They'll be trapped." Milu interrupted, showing a face of worry. I would've been glad of his rare emotion if it didn't seem like a bad thing.

    The Elder sighed and shook his head. He muttered to himself, "Just when I thought this situation was getting better." He and Milu straightened themselves up. 

    I started, "The Elder, I—"

    "No-no, Teo. You'll be seeing me a lot more than other deer would, so you can just call me by my real name, Monty."

    "Oh, alright...'Monty.' I was just wondering, does this make my problem worse or better?"

    "Well, we don't know yet. Milu and I have to discuss this for now. But, just keep hoping for the best, and the best will come." Monty smiled.

    They both left, and Momma came back in. "So?" she asked, "What's the news?"

    I didn't want to make her more worried than she already was, so I had to lie a bit. "Well, because of the Guardian, the...The demons can't hurt me, and I'll be fine!"

    Momma grinned and nuzzled me. "That's wonderful, Teo. I just knew that you'd be fine." She laid down next to me and lowered her head. "You should rest, alright?" she yawned, and I nodded. "M'kay," I sighed, and drifted off to sleep.

~*~*~

    I looked around. I saw nothing. Only darkness. 

    "Teo..." A vague whisper that sounded like many voices in unison. 

    "What?" I looked around, trying to spot even the slightest of color or movement. 

    "You must find the next guardians yourself, Teo. The fate of the forest depends on you."

    "But how?"

    "You must remember these instructions: Look for the blackest bear that will light up the night, The wolf that holds onto the tree with all her might. Find the fox that came from up above, The owl with the name that is spoken with love. The last of the ones brought by the deer, Is a rabbit that is known by the trees that grow near."

    I blinked in confusion. What is that supposed to mean? Everything suddenly disappeared, and I awoke. Momma was gone, and The El—Uh...'Monty' and Milu were in front of me.

    "Teofilo."

    "Teo, what's wrong? You were shivering and whimpering in your sleep."

    "Well, I..."