Chapter Three: "Do you know about reincarnation?"

*Aaaannndd that's the guardian symbol! (Drew it in Gimp)*

        "Then your father and I headbutted those wolves all the way to the lake!" Momma laughed. She had brought me food and was telling me stories about her and Papa in the Demon Defence Herd. She said that I must get my fighting skills from my dad. I still don't know if that was a compliment or an insult, though. 

    Momma usually tells me these stories if I have a cold or something, and they're always fun to hear. But this time, it was different. I had to force myself to look interested. They weren't interesting, yet they didn't feel dull. I didn't feel anything about them.

    "That's awesome, Momma!" I was hoping she didn't notice my faking. I decided to ask her something that might spark my interest, "You know, I was wondering...What are The Guardians? Why haven't they showed up yet?" 

    Momma paused and thought for a moment like she didn't quite know. "Well, hm...Ah, I know. Do you know about reincarnation?" she asked me as she sat up.

    I shook my head, and she smiled. "When a creature dies, their soul leaves their body. They then fly to the clouds, where Mother Nature is. She decides if they still have to complete something important. If they don't, she allows them to roam free in the Rainbow Feilds. If they do have to complete something, then their soul goes into a young animal. Then they have no memory of their past life but will have a better chance of achieving something wonderful.

    "But The Guardians are different. When Mother Nature discovered that her brother, Furor, had released his demons onto the forest, she had to stop him. She chose one animal from six species: A deer, a bear, a wolf, a fox, an owl, and a rabbit to receive enhanced abilities so that they could defeat Furor's demons. The deer had increased speed, the bear had improved strength, the wolf had invisibility, the fox could hear things for miles, the owl could change vision at will, and the rabbit was able to jump higher than any creature. The Guardians had souls that could not be harmed or infected by demons. However, they still could be hurt by other things. If a Guardian died, their soul would leave the body and return to Mother Nature. That soul would wait for an animal born of its species that was vigorous and healthy. Even though the animal will already have a soul in it, they will go into them. Then they stay off to the side and leave the soul alone, but they will still interact with the animal's Balance Spirits to influence them into becoming good-hearted.

    "Once they are deemed worthy, the Guardian takes over the body and merges with the animal's original soul. After that, they have the full powers of a Guardian. However, if the animal isn't worthy, the Guardian just leaves the body and goes back to Mother Nature. The animal is left unharmed, and the original soul would've known nothing of the Guardian. Nobody knows why, but there haven't been any Guardians in over a ten years. Some animals just think that nobody's been worthy. Others think the Guardian souls were broken by Furor in revenge." 

    I was amazed. I always thought that The Guardians were just high ranked animals from the armies, or the guards that were protecting The Kings and Queens. "What do The Guardians look like?" I asked her, very interested now. 

    "Well, they appear to be like the regular animal, but they have a special symbol on their chest," Momma explained as she drew a symbol in the dirt with her hoof. I gasped as I realized something. That's the same symbol Apollonios had on his chest, could I be the next Guardian?