Step 23

Show her something better than shopping

When I woke up this morning there was a weird feeling in my stomach. As if something bad was about to happen. And when my brain started working again and the memories came back I knew what was wrong with this day. Today Matty would stop being my coach and move out. Things wouldn't be the way they used to be anymore. And there was nothing I could do against it. I sighed and got up. After dressing I walked downstairs were Matty was already sitting. I flashed him a sad smile which he responded. "I can't believe it is already time!" I stated. "Me either. It has been lots of fun!" Matty replied and I nodded in agreement. "And now? Are you ready to move out?" I asked not sure if I wanted to hear the answer. "If this is about if I have already packed my stuff then the answer is yes. But if that is about my feelings towards moving out then the answer is no" he answered honestly and I was glad he did so. "I feel the same way. It was so much fun having you here and all! Plus you are an amazing cook! How am I supposed to survive without you?" I asked and we both laughed. "I don't know! But I am glad that I changed your opinion about people coming from Brooklyn!" he said still laughing. I nodded "Yes you did! I mean who would have even dared to imagine me being friends with a boy from Brooklyn three weeks ago?" Suddenly he stopped laughing and turned serious again "Right, being friends. I forgot, I still have a box left to pack!" My expression quickly changed because I hoped that we could have spend the rest of the day with each other "I could help you?" He shook his head and managed to crack a smile "Don't worry, it's fine! It is just one box. I will see you later!" I smiled and nodded before turning around and walking back into my room.

***************

Hours had passed and it was suddenly lunch time so I decided to go downstairs and look for Matty. I hadn't heard anything from him since this morning and was kind of worried. When I got downstairs he was neither in the kitchen nor living room so I went upstairs to his rooms. I knocked but nobody answered so I carefully opened the door. I let out a long sigh seeing the boxes all packed and ready to leave my apartment and my life. I walked around but couldn't find him up here either.

What was going on? Why would he leave all of a sudden without saying anything?

I walked back downstairs and pulled out my phone. After I had tried to call him for the fifth time and he hadn't picked up I let out a long sigh and put the phone down on the kitchen counter. Then I took out a cup out of one of the cardboards and walked over to the water boiler. A staple of papers caught my attention and I lowered the cup to walk over to the papers. On it was a post it and even though I wasn't sure if I should read it I did so.

'Sammy, I am sorry for going out for a while but I had to! Also I am sorry for my weird behavior earlier. It all belongs together But it is to hard to explain - especially face to face! It can all be explained with the story over here though so please read it. There is a note on the last page which you should also read. I hope it will all work out!'

To say I was confused was an understatement! What was he talking about and let me better say: what was this story about?

I didn't know the answers to these questions but I hoped I would find out when I would read that story. I made myself a cup of tea before grabbing the cup and the papers and walking over into the living room. Once I was seated comfortable I brought up the staple to my face before Flipping over the blank paper. There was the headline and I couldn't help but try to get rid of the lump in my throat.

'How to help a shopaholic'

I flipped over to the next page were the headline read 'Step one: Become her coach'. And there it was: our first meeting and all the memories of that day. The next chapter was about our second day and it continued in that way. In there were all the memories we shared and all the answers to the questions I had about how he felt in each situation. How hard it was for him to not kiss me that one day. How much he loved to mess with me. How heartbreaking it was to see me all vulnerable and broken when I had finally told him about my mother. How he felt during the photoshoot and the wedding. And last but not least how it teared him apart whenever I said he was a great friend. The last chapter was called 'Step 23: Show her something better than shopping' and there were no doubts about what he meant. I flipped over to the last page.