Chapter Twenty Two:

Deep purple angry circles coated my eyes, and my lids were slightly swollen from hours of crying and lack of sleep. My skin had paled even more, and I felt so weak and breakable. This was just what I had to do. I was aware of my feelings, keeping them in check, but that didn’t make me like this decision any more.

I had informed James of my decision the night before. There was no celebrating, nor was there any mourning. We remained stone faced and solemn, the both of us, accepting this as my decision. He had left me alone to think, even though I believe he already knew what I would choose... James just knew me.

This morning when I woke up for breakfast, there was no food on the table. I felt my heart drop inside my chest. James was already waiting, keys in hand, by the doorway.

"Ready?" his normally smooth and happy voice croaked, and I squeezed back tears. I had promised myself I wouldn't make a scene. I silently nodded.

The car ride was dead silent, and I could practically hear the still air whispering to me. I felt like my life was falling apart again, and in truth I wasn't even sure of my decision. Either way I lost someone I loved, and gained another. It was a horrid choice to have to make, but I did. I just hoped I wouldn't regret it.

The lush green rolling hills protected by a white picket fence and wrought iron gates opened up in front of us. I didn't even realize we had stopped, until James cleared his throat before slipping out the driver’s side door. I silently followed, feeling my legs move so slowly and heavily it was like swimming through molasses.

"Shaylee Troy" and "Lila Troy" read the two tomb stones lying side by side in front of me. An already withering bouquet of flowers rested on each, and I sighed, remembering. I peeked my tearing blue eyes toward James, who did the adorable raising eyebrow thing, except this time with no hint of a smile lurking in his deep set eyes. I nodded slightly.

He knelt down between the stones, placing a hand over each name. He said a few incomprehensible words, moving his hand to the dirt below, and then gesturing into the air. He touched the green grass, the grey stones, the flowers, and the engraved names. After about five minutes he stood up.

"Obviously they aren't going to rise from the graves like zombies. I have talked with the head angel's and they've informed that I just have to say a certain place in the chant I just did," James gestured back down to where he was just kneeling. "And that's where they'll turn up. They will remember everything. There will be no confusion. They will remember your father, the coma, and their own deaths. They will also have the added information of angels, to explain why they're alive now. You'll have to move to San Diego, California. That's the place I just said, and that's where they'll be. You'll be near my angel friend, Alex. As I explained, we won't be able to see each other anymore. Alex won't be your guardian, but he'll be there if you need anything. You'll find information to the bank account I opened for you in the condo I also bought for you."

"Okay," I said sadly and quietly. Unbelieving that this was how I chose it to be, but I guess there was no going back now. I hated myself for hurting James. I hated myself for doing this at all. I hated James for being an angel. I hated it all.

 "Take my hand," he said, not meeting my eyes and his tone was horribly depressed. I did as he asked. Just seconds later I was standing alone in a tiled room with brown paneled walls. I heard an echo of "Good-bye, I'll always love you."

 I collapsed immediately into a plush circular leather chair, breaking into sobs that shook my body. Just like that he was gone, and I felt my heart breaking in my chest. I loved him, I did. I just need my family. But I feel like I had made the wrong choice...I needed him back...I had to find a way. It was too late...

I lay in my own tears, shaking while the sobs sent tremors through my body for a very long time, wishing it was me that died versus anyone else. I wished everyone a happy ending, if only I were gone.

"Krissy?"

Only one person in the history of this Earth had ever called me Krissy, and that was Shaylee.

My tears stopped, my eyes popped open, and I jumped to my feet, enveloping Shaylee in a huge hug. My tears steadily continued again, but this time out of joy. My baby sister was alive, and not laying in a hospital bed. She looked better than I'd ever seen her, with her golden locks curled perfectly across her shoulders, her skin alive with color, and unbroken with bruises or scars. Her eyes gleamed with happiness, and my heart ached for her. I had forgotten how badly I needed her. "Oh, Shay..." I sighed, not wanting to let her go for an instant.

"Kristina?" Another voice echoed from a door way about twenty feet away. I looked up from my sister but didn't let go, as my eyes met with a woman who I had thought I'd never see again. At first, I was stunned and unbelieving, trying to piece together pictures and memories if this woman. One who had forgotten the very image of.

She was like a larger more grown up Shaylee, but with a slightly darker shade of hair and a more tired quality. I didn't want to let Shaylee go, still, so I ran to her, dragging Shaylee along. We all had a group hug, and I cried harder. We all did, my mother, my sister, and me. Our little family becoming perfect again, with one missing link. My father.

And Thank God for that.

When we finally broke apart, we all decided to huddle together on the couch. We caught up...I told them what had happened in their absence. The mood darkened when we talked about my father, but it was still okay because he was gone and we were safe now. They did remember everything, just as James had said.

If only I could see James and thank him...or kiss him...or find a way to make us work...

Our re-united family sat for hours reminiscing, as our bond grew stronger and more perfect than ever before.

________________________________________________________________________________

(Three Months Later)

Shaylee and I had entered back into dance classes, and were doing multiple things. Ballet, hip-hop, inspirational, you name it- we were trying it. My mother did as well, however she taught. She remembered a lot, and dancing was her passion. As was the same case for Shaylee and I, it turns out.

We had been faring well with the thousands of dollars James had so generously supplied into the bank account, but we knew it wouldn't last forever. I had applied to a community college in California, and Shaylee was currently enrolled in a middle school and seemed to be enjoying herself. My mother made money working as a dance instructor.

I never did meet up with Alex, California was far too big. I still hoped to soon, and not a day went by when I didn't miss James. I'm so happy to have my family back, but I always wondered "what if..." for many different scenarios if I had stayed with James...

A/N: Hey everyone! Yes, this is the last chapter to Gone with an Angel. But never fear, there is a sequel, Gone with an Angel Two. C: Thank you all for your support!