Chapter Twelve:

"Kill me now," I murmured into the pillow that my face was pressed into as the shrill ring of the new alarm clock pierced my ears. James had got it for me, so I could get up earlier and help with something or other.

I figured I should listen to him, with him being my guardian angel and all.

My grumpy mood quickly dissolved as I brushed the curtains of my room aside and was greeted by the sound of pouring rain and a million droplets rolling continuously down the clear slate.

I loved the rain. It was one of the few things I loved and could always cheer me up. No one could steal rain away from me. Maybe that was just one of the silly reasons why I loved the dreary days.

I stepped into the bathroom for a quick shower. As the weeks had progressed I had gotten much better in terms of my hygiene timing. Whereas a month ago, I would be taking hours long worth of showers, but now I had managed it down to half an hour. I was growing accustomed to this new, safe, clean life. I only hoped and prayed it would stick around.

Not once did I miss the old one.

Shortly after I had returned home from the hospital and figured out James was an angel, of course, I was tossed another piece of news. My father was in jail, and would be for quite some time.

Just about fifty years. The one thing I did know about my father was the boredom itself would kill him. If that didn't do it, than having his alcohol stash cut off entirely, immediately, cold turkey, that would kill him. And fast.

A cried when I heard the news. Abusive or not, that man was my father. I agreed he deserved his charges entirely, and I would never stop hating him for what he did to me and my family. I didn't cry for that man, per se, I mostly cried for that man who loved me for the first full six years, almost seven, years of my life. My life didn't go downhill until something changed him, so I would miss my old father for who he was forever. Part of me wanted to believe that man was trapped deep inside the abusive devil he was now, just contained by a fog of confusion and hurt and all of the alcohol. Although, part of me believed that was a lie, too, and I was just hoping too much.

Either way it didn't matter. My father was in jail, and I was working so desperately to leave the past behind. There was a whole new wonderful life ahead of me; I just have to walk right into it.

I broke away from my thoughts to notice the ugly neon pink alarm clock blinking it's read digital numbers to read "8:37.” James had plans for nine.

I walked out and was no longer surprised to see breakfast already splayed on the table. It was a daily thing, as it turned out. Something that always seemed to make my day brighter, some how.

I sat down to a warm breakfast of delightful cinnamon rolls perfectly matched with cool soothing milk and dug right in. Mmm, nothing like junk food to calm my grumbling tummy.

"Kris!" James sighed exasperated as he entered through the kitchen side door, quickly scrambling around the counter in search of something.

"Mgph?" I replied, with a mouth full of cinnamon roll delightfully warming my tongue and taste buds.

"Chew with your mouth closed," he sighed again, and I smiled.

"What are the plans for today?" I asked once I had finally managed to say something comprehensible with no food lodged inside my mouth.

"Meeting at Ty's school."

School? I thought.

I supposed he noticed the perplexed look growing on my face so he elaborated. "Ty has school, more like a day care, year round. He loves to learn, and sadly I'm not always around to take care of him, as you know. I found a great school specifically for autistic kids and I'm hoping it will help him. We have a meeting there today, just to get to know the teacher and the atmosphere and then arrange a good time when he's able to attend."