Chapter Eleven:

So that was how we came to be running through the woods together on a cool summer night, our hands clasped together and branches cracking under our feet. My muscles were screaming with every step I ran, but James kept dragging me along, as I tried to keep moving along with him. He never let go of my hand, but he never glanced at me to make sure if I was okay, so we just kept running. Why would an angel need to run? Finally we slowed to a stop, and we were in what must be the middle of nowhere. I guessed I didn't notice when the forest stopped and gave way to rolling plains. All I could see was grass. By now it was night, and you could see all of the twinkling stars captivating the night sky.

"Here," he says, and pulled me to the ground, so I was facing the sky.

"And?" I asked, trying to hide that I was already impressed, and he hadn't even attempted to prove anything yet.

"Just hush," he told me, and I did, just staring at the stars, losing myself in my surroundings.

After maybe five minutes of complete silence aside from the crickets chirp, James looked towards me and said, "there's going to be a shooting star. In one minute."

I didn't know what to say, so I just stared. About thirty seconds later, James raised his hand and pointed in a general direction, and held his hand there. Sure enough, when the allotted minute was up, a star shot across the sky, until its trail of light flickered away.

"Hm," was all I manage to say. That was proof enough for me. "But how?"

"Not sure. Like I said, there are limits to what I can and can't do. What I do and don't know. Sometimes, I can see what will come. Sometimes, I just sense something. Sometimes, nothing at all. Usually I can sense or see more in silence, or in the presence of something. Or with beauty." He coughed, and I wonder if he was talking about me or the night.

"Believe me yet?"

I nodded, and we sat there in silence. It was perfect. After a short period of time of making my own constellations in the sky, my mind began to wander.

Are you gonna kiss me or not, I thought the country lyric in my head and wondered if James would ever kiss me. If he even thought of me in that way. Who was I kidding though…I was just some little job for him. Some little child for him to take care of and keep out of trouble.

He cleared his throat and a shivered. Could he read minds? Oh shiz… I sighed inwardly. If he could, I was screwed. I wouldn’t know, I guessed, as he stood up and dragged me to my feet. Just as I was preparing to start off on another run, something occurred to me.

"Wait, how did you move here so fast? How did you know? And what about that job of yours?" I asked.

"Angels are very convincing, persuasive." He winked. "I just had a feeling to come here, and it was right as always. As far as how fast I got here?" He told me to close my eyes, and I obeyed, and when I opened them, I was facing the kitchen of my new house.

"Whoa," I breathed, and he smiled that radiant smile, nodded, and said, "there's some very amazing things about angels. Some I suppose I haven't even figured out yet. Hungry?" He said, and casually walked into the kitchen, pulling out different foods to cook. I heard the familiar growling of my stomach, so I went to eat some microwavable pizza before heading off to bed. I had had too much information for one day.

Especially now that my life had changed forever.