Chapter Eight:

Silence cut through the room like a knife cutting through butter. I had explained everything. I had done what I had never done before. I told someone. Someone I had barely known for a week. Not just one thing, but all things. I told him about my mother, and Shaylee, and the alcohol, and all of the abuse. I told him all the things that have happened, and then it was just silent.

"So...Um..." I was desperately fighting to get words out, because I have had too much silence I have grown tired of it.

He didn't say anything; he just got up and started pacing, muttering incomprehensible words.

"James...?"

"I should've known." he said.

I thought that only made this situation worse. Known what? I was only becoming more and more confused. But as I was trying to find the right words he finally said something understandable.

"You can stay as long as you like. We'll figure something out..." He looked at his watch and then continued. "Ty will be awake soon. My aunt only comes to watch over the house, not so much him. We should be getting back."

I didn't know what to say. He wasn't frightened, he seemed relaxed, and he was acting like this is the most normal thing ever. I was confused, but also relieved. He wasn’t doing anything rash.

"Sure," I finally said, and we left and he re-locked the store. By the time we got home, Ty was very much awake. Screaming is the first thing we heard as the door opened, but not scared screaming as I was used to. Happy, hyper screaming. James smiled and walked away toward the source of the sound, leaving me to trail behind.

"Hey, Ty." He tried, smiling his ever so vibrant smile, and looking at his brother run around the room in circles with a matching smile on his face. After noticing this didn't get his attention, he yelled. "Ty!"

"James!" Ty replied and stopped his circle running, sending him collapsing on the floor from dizziness and erupting into giggles. James joined him and I allowed myself a smile. This house was so different from mine. This was a happy home, despite the damage done to the people inside it. They still managed, without killing each other.

"Is it okay if Kris," he pointed towards me, "stays with us for a while?" James had directed the question towards Ty, who nodded enthusiastically.

"Well good. Now I need to talk to Kris for a minute, okay ?" Again Ty nodded, only to return to his around and around running.

James grabbed my hand and pulled me to the front hall again. "We don't have clothes for you here. We won't have the things you need. I know we still have a lot to talk about and work out, but first we need to get you back into your house."

I hadn't even thought about that, or anything I'd need. Suddenly thinking of going back turned my blood to ice. I couldn't. I wouldn't. The many years of emotional and physical abuse I had lasted through and the strength I had built vanished in the one day I had been there.

"But..." I had all the reasons not to resting on my tongue, but I knew it was useless. James was right. "When?" I asked instead.

"I would say tomorrow. You'll be fine for today and tonight, and I'll think of something. I'll make sure you'll be safe, Kris." His eyes gleamed and I almost believed him, when I remembered the seriousness and decisions that will have to be made soon. I would never have thought I would be free from my father, and I did it in the spur of the moment. The unthinkable seemed to have been happening a lot.

Suddenly I was overcome with drowsiness and he noticed. "You can go to bed, Kris. It's fine. Ty and I'll manage." He smiled again at me, and I try to return it, but it turned into more of a smirk. Once again he grabbed my hand and led me to the room, and tells me good night. Part of me was hoping he'd stay or something more would happen, but all he did was linger in the doorway for a minute, before closing it behind him. The darkness took me in and I vanished into nightmares.