Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Two days, two whole fucking days without seeing or hearing from Caroline and I’m on the verge of losing it. I never knew how much I relied on her until now, I can not even make a decision without her approval. I am afraid that I will say something that can be used later against me. Don’t get me wrong I mean I know the basic things not to mention to the investigators, but what if there is really something that she doesn’t want me to say and I unknowingly say it? Then what? What will happen to me and her? Once you slip up and say something that you hadn’t meant to say then thats it, they have got you. I would know I’ve done it to countless suspects in the past.

After our little chat Ariella scurried out of my hospital room to tend to the favor I had asked her to do. I know from just by the way she was acting that my irresistible charm had worked on her. She, like most of the women I talk too, fell for the fake front.

Captain Phillips stares at me with sad questionable eyes as though he cannot believe that I am the suspect. That I could commit a crime such as this. I worked hard in order for him to see me in that way, as a person that could do no wrong and only strives for the best. I will not have that image tarnished in his eyes just because of a minor bump in the road. No, everything I have worked so hard to gain will not just be strewn away. I’ll go through desperate measures if i have to just to keep it that way. 

It appears that the detective that is shaped like a skeleton is working my case along with some other newbie. He smirked once he saw the two police officers drag me into the station the next day. He, like the officers, doesn’t like me but the difference is I guess he actually has a reason to do so. Kenny and the guy were close friends and he didn’t believe for a second that Kenny killed his wife. Even though he had knowledge of the abuse he didn’t speak of it to anybody, from what he said, as long as he didn’t beat Annabelle up too badly then he felt no reason to get involved. Which angered me, how can you call yourself a cop and you don’t even protect the people around you. He’s as crooked as they come, he told me if I could come up with quite amount of money (six grand to be exact), then he would somehow make all these charges disappear. Of course I denied the offer because I didn’t know if he was trying to make me slip up or if he was being sincere. I went with my gut and told him that he can take his offer and shove it up his ass, which he didn’t take to kindly too. 

He narrowed his into slits before roughly dragging me to the interrogation room. The newbie was already in there waiting patiently for us to arrive. Once he caught sight of me his forehead was instantly glazed with sweat. He looked really nervous and uncomfortable all of a sudden. I smirked at his apprehension, I can tell he was having second thoughts about taking on this case. I am not a scary individual but when I become angry I’m not a person you would like to mess with. I glared at the new detective in order to intimidate him. His already milky white skin had turned a ghostly pale. I would chuckle at his reaction but this is not the time for fun and games. 

The skeleton guy, which I now know as Detective John Veronesi, shoved me roughly into the chair. He cracked his knuckles before rounding the table and plopping down in the seat across from me. He folded his long bony fingers on the table and stared at me. I did the same back, the other detective in room scurried off in the corner in the room. His eyes flickered between us our silent feud went on. He broke eye contact first as he gazed down at the manila folder in front of him. He studied the material for a fe minutes before turning his attention back to me. Then John simply stated that I killed Barbara Pittman. I neither nodded or blinked, which caused him to tilt his head to the side before writing in his notepad.

“You killed Barbara Pittman,” he said repeating himself a bit louder. Again I only acknowledged his speaking by blinking my eyes. “Of course I don’t have to tell you that because you did it eh? Well, anyways let me tell you how we figured it out,” he paused a pulled out photos of Barbara’s house. “You see, you weren’t very smart with this killing. You left all the evidence and the body behind.” He shook his head disapprovingly and clucked his tongue. “That’s killer 101, you never leave any evidence behind or the body Liam.” I suppressed an eye roll, I have to keep an expressionless face. I almost forgot the other detective was in the room with us until he awkwardly cleared his throat. I made sure my gaze lingered on him, making him squirm.