Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I called captain Phillips earlier to let him know that I would be about an hour late to work this morning, because my truck just wouldn't start. Which wasn't an entire lie, I just tampered with the truth a little bit. I'm sure Kenny has gotten word that Annabelle's body was found in a park located close by their house. The police got an "anonymous" tip from at six am. I had Linny call from a payphone near the park to set them off. So I know they rushed over there to check it out.

I took a deep breath before entering the precinct. I know behind these doors all hell will break loose and I need to be prepared for anything that's thrown at me. I walk in to find detectives running around frantic caring around papers and talking to various people. At my desk, Kenny's head is hung low between his legs. His hair is tousled from what appears to be from him running his fingers through it too much. His tie hangs loosely around his neck, the cuffs of his shirt are unbuttoned. In all he just looks a complete mess.

"Kenny, have you seen Phillips? I need to inform him of my arrival." He slowly raised his head and narrowed his blood shot red eyes.

"You bastard!" he yelled tackling me to the ground. Our bodies collided with hard tile floor temporarily knocking the wind out of me. He gave me no time to recover before climbing atop of me. "You killed her! You killed my fucking wife!" he screamed while pounding away on my face. I barely had enough time to react and block his blows. His eyes reflected rage and sorrow; two of the worst emotions to mix. He managed to get a few good hits in before being hauled off of me. Kenny successfully busted my lip making it drip blood on to my shirt and tie. I rolled over and spat my blood on the tile floor. One of my many admirers here came rushing to my aid with a few Kleenexes and a bottle of water.

"What the hell is going on here?!" Phillips bellowed, everyone's head snapped towards him. I stood back up wiping the remainder of my blood on my hand.

"Phillips, he attacked me and accused me of murdering his wife."

"You did! You want us to believe that "The Messenger" targeted her. But it was all you! You're just bitter, You couldn't handle the fact of her being with me so you killed her. I swear I'll kill you too if they let me go," he said while struggling to get out the other detectives grip. I rolled my eyes.

"I haven't had any contact with Annabelle at all, Kenny. You should really watch who you threaten. I'm still a police officer you know."

"Enough you two! Not another word!" He removed his glasses from his slender face and pinched the bridge of his nose. He let out an exasperated sigh as if what he is about to say is troubling him. "You're off the case, Kenny."

"What, no. Hell no. If anybody should be taken off the case is him!"

"It is not healthy for you to be under this much stress. Especially since your wife's killer is still out there."

"This is fucking unbelievable. The killer is right in your fucking face."

"Look, I understand your upset but I won't have you trashing one of my employees reputation. You will cease these accusations at once."

"Fuck you," he spat disgustedly.

"Get out now. If you value your job and have a shred of dignity left you will leave right now." A series of emotions washed over Kenny's face as he made his decision.

"Alright. I'll leave," he said eerily calm. "But don't say I didn't warn you. You'll slip up Liam, they always do." Captain Phillips sighed dramatically after Kenny left. He rubbed his temples slowly to relieve a possible headache.

"I hope he doesn't do anything irrational," he mutters to himself. "You okay?" I nod and lightly touch my lip.

"Yeah, he just busted my lip."