Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I nervously tapped my foot against the gravel as I awaited the arrival of Special Agent Rachel. The harsh wind whipped at my face and invaded the crevices of my tightly pulled jacket. Usually Michigan weather doesn't bother me, but when it's damn near below freezing and the wind is violently assaulting you through your clothing, you reach your breaking point.

If it wasn't for this steamy hot chocolates keeping my hands warm and toasty, my fingers would have been frost bitten. I know by mentioning 'hot chocolates' it means its plural, more than one. I surely am not going to drink both cups of liquid lava by myself. I bought one of them for Rachel. Let me explain why.

If i'll ever obtain my goal I must get her to trust me, right? I figured by showing her that i'm not such a mean guy and that she can open up to me, I will gain that trust. Or I can manipulate her like I do the other girls. But I have a feeling she isn't as dumb as them and plus I want a challenge. If all fails i'll just buy it from her. You know shower her with gifts and my attention. This plan is perfect.

She may not be dumb but she is naive. In the twenty-four hours of knowing her I can tell that she has very serious, professional side and a fun side. The serious professional would never fall from any of the shit I would try to spit at her, but with my persuasion skills and my irresistible charm I'll break down that facade. Thus opening up the real her; her vulnerable easily manipulated side. Everyone has one. Even I. But I've studied and mastered human emotions, pushing mine into a deep black vortex that used to be my heart.

So, once I obtain that trust the rest just falls into place. She is like silly putty in the palm of my hands. I'll lure her to her prolonged inevitable death.

The only down side to this process is that I am forced to spend all of the free time I have with her. Learning about her likes, dislikes. What makes her undeniably happy, what makes her seethe. What causes her fear. Everything. I have to pretend I give a fuck about all these things too. I just barely can stand a thirty minute car ride with her. But for the sake of my plan I have to learn to live with it.

I also have to keep in mind that there is a lot of shit one the line. If I decide not to go through with this plan or, God forbid, it fails that really is my ass. If I for some reason chicken out and don't go through with it, countless families and marriages are at risk. I can't let one of these devils ruin any more innocent families, or marriages for that matter.

My conscience wouldn't let me sleep at night knowing I could be out there doing something to help these blindsided people. More importantly, I would lose the last shred of respect Caroline has for me. She would probably disown me and never speak to me again. I can't handle that. Linny is all I had and all I'll ever have. No one loves me like she does. No, I wouldn't rather die than disappoint her again. The hurt look in her eyes is enough motivation for me to do right.

Since birth, Caroline and I have always been close. Call it a twin bond or whatever but she is literally my go-to-person for anything. If she was somewhere doing something I wasn't too far behind. At the early age of ten years old, our father caused our bond to grow when he blatantly announced that he was leaving my mother for his pregnant mistress.

Linny and I sat at our wooden dining room table color our portraits of each other. We giggled and shared out drawings.

"On three, turn your paper around. One, two, three!"Caroline said excitedly. We flipped our drawings around and showed the other. "Eww! Why did you make my eyes so big and blue, Liam?" she whined.

"Beacuse they are big and blue. You made my eyes just as big," I pointed out.

"That's because your eyes are actually that big, stupid," she playfully rolled her eyes. I narrowed my eyes.