Chapter Five

Chapter Five

The aroma of freshly cooked bacon caressed my nostrils as I descended our stair case. I could faintly smell the hint of eggs and possibly bacon. Yawning, I scratched at the the stubble on my chin. I have to shave this shit before I head off to work, this five o' clock shadow is not working for me. I prefer a more clean cut look, not a hair insight. Beards or facial hair in general, tends to make me scruffy and way older than I actually am. And that is definitely something I don't need. Especially if i'm trying to attract women around my age or younger.

I walked in our small kitchen and greeted Caroline by giving her a hug. She tilted her head slightly to the side and accepted my kiss upon her cheek. Picking up the newspaper beside her, I made my way to the refrigerator grabbing the orange juice. I unscrewed the top and drank from the carton.

"Liam don't do that, you know how that irks my nerves. Grab a glass and drink the juice properly," she scolded as if she was speaking to a child. I smirk and take the carton away from my lips.

"Sorry mom," I reply sarcastically, then added, "you're up early this morning, why is that?"

"Yes, I am. My boss has asked me to report to work early today. A co-worker of mine has gotten a break in the new drug we're composing," she replied with her back still to me. Caroline is a pharmaceutical scientist, she creates and researchers new drugs. Later when she works out all of the kinks it may have, her team then sells it to pharmacy's, doctors, hospitals, etc.

"They couldn't have called anybody else in?" I hated how they worked her so hard.

"No, this was a last minute thing. Plus, I don't really mind going in early. I'm usually up around the time you leave for work, so the earliness doesn't effect me."

"Linny, you're still up when I return home from work and that's nearly around eleven at night or later. When do you sleep?"

"I sleep when I know that I have no other tasks to complete for that day." I shake my head dissaprovingly.

"You're working like a dog. You need to take it easy." She smiled slightly.

"The story of my life. I can't remember the last time I 'took it easy'. I wouldn't even say I am overly working myself anymore. This is my normal."

"Well, as soon as you are finished with all the necessary paperwork for this new drug. You are taking a vacation, and I am not taking no for answer."

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Linny working, but she has working non-stop since we turned old enough to get a job, which was when were fifteen. She never allowed me to work because it would interfere with my studies. So she balanced going to school, a job, and keeping food on the table. Our sorry excuse for a mother was either passed out drunk somewhere or in her bedroom a whoring.

All of Caroline's work eventually paid off. With the money she saved up from her job she just barely got us through college. And without her knowledge of various drugs and their affects on the human body, I wouldn't have known which one's to use on my victims. I needed something that would temporarily make them fall asleep, not killing them. She told me chloroform would do the trick so that's what I used. If I don't watch my victim struggle to take their last breath then I feel like the process isn't complete.

"Whatever you say, dad," she replied smirking. She placed my delicious smelling food in front of me. We joined hands and bowed our heads as Caroline said the prayer.

I flicked through the newspaper aimlessly, until I came across what I was looking for. I smirk, and re-read the article about Annabelle's death. Caroline is right. I mean when isn't she right? People are finally recognizing what I am doing for this world. I will not let my work go unnoticed. I'll go through drastic measures if need be. I won't just stir up the public's attention for a short period of time and have it die down a couple months later.