Chapter Nine

Reader's POV

The monster left, closing the door behind itself once more. You looked over at Dean, who was slowly regaining consciousness. His eyes fluttered open and at the realisation that he was tied up and gagged, his eyebrows furrowed. He looked over to you, asking the silent question of "What the hell?"

You looked all over the basement, trying to find a way to escape. Sam was the only one left upstairs that wasn't a monster, and you knew you had to do something fast.

Dean started looking too, searching and scanning the entire basement. You let him look, searching behind you and in front of you and everywhere you could possibly think of.

And then it hit you.

No, it actually hit you. A nail fell on your head, making you flinch and look up. Right above you hung your tools- including a saw- and a shelf containing nails, screws, and all sorts of other materials. You nudged Dean with your shoulder, as he was sitting right next to you, and he looked up as well. You raised an eyebrow and he seemed to get the message.

You thought it would take quite a while, but Dean suddenly broke his hands free of the ropes, showing off his knife. It was a different one, and as he ripped off his gag he explained.

"That's a good idea, Sweetheart, but I've always got spare knives handy." He smirked and untied his legs, before releasing you from your binds. You rolled your eyes but said nothing in return, instead looking at the shifter that was tied up as well. Dean scoffed and turned to you.

"So it's not a shifter up there?" He asked. You shrugged.

"I don't know. Maybe. Maybe it's another one. All we know is that we have to go and save Sam 'cause he's in big trouble," You replied. Everything inside of you told you to turn away from the shifter tied up here, to let it die. But then it made a noise in between its trashing and screaming. A noise that sounded suspiciously like "Wait!"

Dean must have heard it as well, because he suddenly turned to face the shifter once more. He raised an eyebrow in your direction.

"Wanna let it talk?" He asked. You thought for a moment.

"Take the gag off but leave the chains. Don't want it escaping," You said, nodding in its direction. Dean complied and ripped the gag from the shifter's mouth.

What burst forth from the monster's mouth sounded like nothing more than a garbled mix of words, thrown in hastily between pants and grunts of pain. Dean and you both jumped back, but soon regained your composure and stopped the shifter.

"Hold up- slow down. We can't understand a word you're saying," Dean said, raising his hand to stop the monster's voice. It did stop, trying its best to formulate the words it needed. It was weird, seeing yourself like this. Helpless, pained. It felt surreal.

Your thoughts were interrupted by a yelp of pain from the shifter, then it trying to speak.

"Up-upstairs-" It began. You could tell every word hurt, but something hung in the air that made you stay, gave you patience. Whatever this thing wanted to say wasn't good.

"Go on," You urged. It took a shaky breath, clearly trying to hide how much it hurt.

"Upstairs- it's- it's not good. Not a shif-OW-not a shifter-" It was panting pretty hard, you could tell it couldn't last much longer bound in these silver chains. Dean seemed also to notice it wouldn't be long before you lost the monster, so he urged it along as well.

"What? If not a shifter then what?!" He asked, his voice raising. The monster flinched, but spoke anyway.

"Not a shifter- it c-could hold these- these chains- a G-G-G-" It couldn't form the last word, blood starting a to seep from its mouth. Dean furrowed his eyebrows and you averted your eyes, not wanting to see the grisly end to this monster.

When the grunting finally died out, and the only sounds left in the basement were the sounds of Dean and you breathing, you finally let your eyes rest on the still body of the shapeshifter.

Dean turned to you after several minutes of thinking, his face hardened. His words were quiet, but clear.

"I know what it is."