Chapter Six

Sam's POV

I didn't sleep that night, my mind focused on that slip of paper. I stashed it with my things, replacing it with a sticky note. For some reason, I didn't trust ____. Something seemed off about her, despite knowing her for a day, and I wasn't about to take any chances. That was the mark of a hunter- don't trust anyone.

So I stayed up. Occupying myself with cleaning my guns and sharpening my knives.

Sometime around 1 AM I accidentally dropped a gun, cringing at the noise it made. I hoped that I didn't wake anyone, but it turned out to be the opposite when the door to my room opened, Dean walking in looking ready as if it wasn't the middle of the night. He leaned against the doorway.

"I thought you were awake. What's up?" He asked. I figured that now would be as good a time as any to tell him of my discovery, and I pulled out the paper.

"The shifter that was here said it was looking for something, right?" Dean nodded and I continued. "I found it." He immediately perked up, making his way to me, and took the piece of paper from my hands.

He read it out loud, his eyebrows furrowing with every word.

"Monsters, to turn the world yours, crush the skull of a viper, the wing of a monarch, and eight pieces of birch together. Chant this incantation. Then light with fire.

Ne dissipes illud, sed melius est dare. Aut sponte aut invite, et dabit ei omnia.

And then the humans in the 50 mile circle shall become yours- whatever you may be."

Dean lowered the paper, looking at me with shock and then determination. I had studied enough Latin to know what it meant, and I'm sure I wore the same expression as Dean.

"So what, this is a spell for turning humans into monsters?" Dean asked, looking over the paper. I nodded.

"Sure looks like it. I mean- look at the Latin. 'Do not destroy it, but it is better to give in to it. Either willingly or unwillingly, and he shall give him all.' And that's just the bare translation." I ran my hands through my hair, taking back the paper. Dean sighed, standing up and facing me on the bed.

"So this is much bigger than just a simple shifter case. We need to destroy this paper before it even has a chance to get into any monster's hands. Like, now," Dean said, attempting to snatch the paper from my hands. I held it back, however, remembering my earlier plan.

"Wait— don't destroy it yet. We can use it to lure the shifter from wherever it's hiding, kill it and then destroy the paper. It's perfect," I suggested. Dean thought for a moment, soon nodding and making his way to the door.

"Okay fine. But never let it out of your sight. We don't know what could happen," He warned. I nodded in understanding, looking down at the paper once more. Dean voice drew my eyes up once more, however, when he said, "By the way, have you seen ____ recently?" I cocked my head to the side, nodding.

"Yeah. I was looking around the house with her. Why?"

"Did you do the hunter test on her when we got back after looking in the sewers?"

Shit.

"Uh... No..." I replied. Dean raised an eyebrow but said no more, instead leaving, closing the door behind him softly. I sat on my bed a little longer, thinking. There was no way she could be the shifter, we weren't gone for that long. But I decided it would be best to do the tests nonetheless, resolving to do it first thing when I saw her again.

Like I said, I didn't sleep that night. I was too busy thinking and protecting that spell at all costs.

A/N Haha, so, I don't know any Latin, like, whatsoever. If you find a mistake or something of the sort, please alert me. It would be much appreciated!

In other news, I hope you are enjoying the book! Next chapter gets more exciting, I promise.

~Sofaloofa