Chapter Three

A/N Hey everyone! Sorry for the slow updates, but I'm trying! I'm really excited for the next few chapters however, so expect better updating for a little! I also forgot to mention that I'll be switching view points between the reader and Sam, and it might not be consistent. But don't worry, I'll always tell you guys when it's switching view points so it shouldn't get too confusing! Other than that, enjoy the chapter!

~Sofaloofa

"Keep your silver at the ready, Sammy," Dean warned, looking around to see if the man returned. Sam nodded but still kept his attention on you, checking your injuries.

On the outside, nothing seemed too damaged, aside from a few scrapes and newly forming bruises. But as soon as you tried to even breathe, your whole side erupted in pain. You yelped, which only made it worse. Not only that, but your head was throbbing, and your vision was slowly but surely fading. Sam frowned.

"It's possible you damaged a rib. I could probably..." His voice trailed off in your head, as you had stopped paying attention. You were suddenly focused on his beautiful hazel eyes and the way they looked at you with care, despite having known you for only a day. You smiled fondly, before everything went dark.

You woke up on the couch in your living room, a cold washcloth placed on your forehead. Sam was sitting opposite you on a leather chair, a laptop sitting on his lap. You sat up carefully, the pain in your side still present, preventing you from taking deep breaths. Sam saw that you were awake and quickly handed you an ice pack, telling you to apply it to your side.

"Fractured rib I'm assuming. Be careful for the next two months or so," He said. You nodded and relaxed as best you could, watching as he resumed whatever he was doing on his laptop.

"I'm sorry," You said suddenly, after several minutes of silence. Sam looked up at you in confusion.

"What for?" He asked. You averted your eyes from his, not wanting to look in those hazel orbs.

"For all of this. I guess I should have expected something like this to happen eventually with hunters staying here 'n all, but I didn't want to inconvenience you," You explained, playing with the hem of your shirt. Sam set his laptop aside, choosing to look directly at you.

"You did nothing wrong. This was all the work of a monster, nothing more. But since it did appear to be a shifter, we need to run a test to make sure it's still you walking and talking," Sam said, pulling out a knife. Your heart beat spiked but soon calmed down. You watched as he rolled up his sleeve and made a small cut on his arm, then wiping the blade on his shirt and handing the knife you you.

"Simple. Shouldn't hurt too much. Unless it hurts," Sam said. You nodded and repeated his action, handing the knife back to him. He cleaned the knife and smiled, putting it away. You smiled in return, and for a split second you thought Sam was going to say something, before Dean came pounding down the stairs.

"Come on Sam, we gotta track down that shifter before it hurts anyone else," Dean said. Sam nodded and stood up, following after his brother to the front door. You called after them.

"Wait! He said he was looking for something. I don't know what, but maybe that can help," You suggested. They nodded and exited, leaving you alone. From what Dean said earlier you assumed silver would hurt this... Shifter, so you moved into your kitchen looking for silver knifes. Luckily you did have some, taking one and sitting back down on the living room. You had nothing else to do, so you turned the television on and flipped it to a random channel, which was playing some doctor show.

It was only half an hour or so later, and your mind wandered to your to do list for tomorrow. It was Saturday tomorrow, and you had weekends off, so you didn't have much to do. Another episode of the show you were watching started, but a strange sound from behind you caught your attention. You brushed it off, however, and returned to your show.

Then a cloth covered hand claimed over your mouth, your nose breathing in the scent of chloroform and your vision already fading. Your mind didn't even register panic, just the thought of not again.